CAD for simple 3-D metal & wood projects?

Maybe he has only installed and used the program two times. If you will recall you and I had to install it 3 times before the light came on. LOL

Reply to
Leon

For drawing simple 3D shapes It cant get much simpler than with Sketchup and it can probably meet any future need you might have for some time to come.

Reply to
Leon

I really don't have any issues with snapping while using Sketchup unless the drawing is zoomed out too much and there are several end points that are closer together than the snap cursor. Simply zoom in and there is no issue at all.

Reply to
Leon

LOL I'm a stickler for precision, but WTF do you need better tolerances than

1/1000 inch when woodworking? :~)
Reply to
Leon

Leon fired this volley in news:PqCdnWcTe5TF snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Right, "million dollar homes", designed by professional architects, with Sketchup. Uh, huh.

And in the construction trade, it might just work... Just like it really does when people like you build anything:

Draw to 1/8" Cut to 1/2" Position to 1-1/2" "Hell with it, shim the sucker!"

Rooms out of square, floors out of level, walls out of plumb...

Yeah, I've seen the kind of construction YOU do. I've seen million- dollar homes being built by incompetent, givashit workmen like you.

If you'd trust Retch-up to a job like that, I can just imagine the hillbilly crooked-stick furniture you build.

Besides, creep; this is a machining forum. We work to tenths of thou, not 1-1/2" tolerances.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" on Thu, 21 Nov

2013 07:53:57 -0600 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

I think that is given away in the name. After all, it is called "Sketch up" not "Drafting".

As any engineer/designer will tell you - everything starts with a "sketch", be it a literal "drawing on a paper napkin" to "it will sort of look like this ..." drawing in a CAD Program. Just show shapes, relationships and maybe some sizes. What will eventually wind up plotted on a C size page started as "isometric" shapes quickly sketched on notepaper, "with circles and arrows and a paragraph ... describing what each one was..."

tschus pyotr

pyotr filipivich

B-) wood moves that much if you breath on it.

Sides, with wood, "Cut to fit, sand to shape, paint to match." B-)

pyotr filipivich

I use it a LOT. How precise it is depends entirely on the user. There are tons of add-ons and scripts that can make it much more powerful.

Reply to
Steve W.

pyotr filipivich fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

To be used as evidence against us! L

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I don't use Design CAD for woodworking only.

microns, angstroms, etc?

Reply to
Richard

Yeah buddy.

Having a strong background in CAD, I first starting using SketchUp about eight years ago, and shortly thereafter built a $350k construction budget residence, using it to provide the framing plan and all permitting, bidding and construction documents (in conjunction with Layout), I quickly became a believer in the programs power and versatility.

At that time not a single architect I worked with had heard of the program. Things have changed, and folks like this architect have taken SketchUp to a new level, architecturally speaking:

AAMOF, I'm currently actively advising an architect on use of the program, as well as Layout, as we speak, which is poetic justice ... as it is damned hard for a General Contractor/Builder to teach an architect anything. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

Oh No, not that Thanksgiving Day Masacree again!

Reply to
Richard

I think it was Swingman who turned the light on for me, finally getting it through my filter that it wasn't a CAD program, rather a 3D modeling program. I picked it up really quickly after that realization.

Reply to
krw

If you can visualize the part you want to make, a pencil is all you need to capture it. The designers of this didn't need no stinkin CAD:

If you can't create it in your head then CAD won't help you. It doesn't recognise your conceptual errors. I've embarrassed a few engineers by pointing out why I couldn't make what they had drawn.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Obviously not, but with CAD it might not have taken 56 years to build either. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

In wood?

Reply to
krw

Their problem wasn't just drafting, they didn't know how to combine lateral thrust vectors on the columns.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Cross posted to metalworking.

So yes...

Reply to
Richard

The fact that it was cross-posted into "metalworking" made 50 microinch tolerances required for wood? These metal-heads are amazing!

Reply to
krw

snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz fired this volley in news:uut199hh6700a357dmc7bjffvr5667kp2q@

4ax.com:

Thank you... we are! We can do woodworking more precisely than you can, too!

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh