Can you cut the sank off of an end mill?

Total newbie here. I have got a 1/4" carbide end mill (1 1/4" cutter - 4" O.A.L.) that is to long. I would like to cut about 1/2" off of the shank and then use it . Is this ok to do? I could mill it off or cut it with an abrasive wheel. Thanks all

Reply to
Dan

Solid carbide? You're going to need a diamond wheel to do that.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Score it (notch it) with an appropriate grind wheel. Be careful to not breathe the dust from a "green" wheel. Wrap a rag around it and clamp in the vise. Smack it with a hammer to break at the score line. Same procedure works with HSS end mills.

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Couldn't you just cut the thing all the way through with a speedy cut?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey