Canadian sniper sets world record with 2.2-mile pickoff of ISIS fighter

A Canadian sniper set what appears to be a record, picking off an ISIS figh ter from some 2.2 miles away, and disrupting a potentially deadly operation by the terror group in Iraq.

Shooting experts say the fatal shot at a world-record distance of 11,316 fe et underscores how stunningly sophisticated military snipers are becoming. The feat, pulled off by a special forces sniper from Canada?s Joint Task Force 2, smashed the previous distance record for successful sniper s hots by some 3,280 feet, a record set by a British sniper.

The new record was set using a McMillan TAC-50, a .50-caliber weapon and th e largest shoulder-fired firearm in existence.

The McMillan TAC-50 is a .50-caliber weapon, and the largest shoulder-fired firearm in existence (McMillan Firearms) While officials would not say where the shot took place, the statement note d the command "provides its expertise to Iraqi security force to detect, id entify and defeat Daesh activities from well behind the Iraqi security forc e front line in Mosul."

Ryan Cleckner, a former U.S. Army Ranger sniper who served two tours of dut y in Afghanistan and wrote the authoritative ?Long Range Shooting H andbook,? called the feat an ?incredible? accomplis hment, one that owes as much if not more to the spotter?s expertise than the shooter's skill.

?The spotter would have had to successfully calculate five factors: distance, wind, atmospheric conditions and the speed of the earth? s rotation at their latitude,? Cleckner told Fox News.

?Because wind speed and direction would vary over the two miles the bullet traveled, the true challenge here was being able to calculate the a ctual wind speed and direction all the way to the target.?

Atmospheric conditions also would have posed a huge challenge for the spott er.

Cleckner said that while the ammunition that Canadian special forces use in the TAC-50 is ?off-the-charts powerful,? with some 13,000 foot-pounds of force when it comes out of the muzzle, the speed of a bullet , a 750-grain Hornady round, is not as important as the aerodynamic efficie ncy of the bullet.

?The key to having a sniper round travel that far and hit a small t arget has less to do with speed and more to do with the efficiency with whi ch the projectile moves through the air,? he said.

That?s because while sniper bullets exit the muzzle at several time s the speed of sound they eventually slow down to less than the speed of so und, and at that point they become less stable. An efficiently designed bul let reduces that instability, he explained.

Dennis Santiago, California-based firearms expert and instructor, said the partnership between the spotter and the shooter is critical.

"Equipment is just a starting point. The shooter on a military team will su rely be skilled enough to hold hard on the 'aimpoint' and fire the shot acc urately," he told Fox News. "The spotter member of the sniper team is respo nsible for telling the shooter the precise moment the atmospherics align wi th the calculations they've made. When it comes together, it's 'mission acc omplished'."

Reply to
rangerssuck

Gunner could have done it blindfolded with a pistol.

Reply to
rangerssuck

Anybody who actually shoulder fires this thing has got to be nuts! It is almost identical in size and weight to the Barrett M107, although the projectile might be a little lighter. I can't imagine what the kick would be like.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I was thinking along those lines. I'm no gun expert, but I wonder how much recoil is absorbed by the bipod.

Reply to
rangerssuck

Note here

that a variant exists with a hydraulic recoil absorber to help with that issue.

Reply to
David Billington

It comes with it's own built-in sniper tripod - and NO WAY you'd get the required accuracy shoulder fired from a standing or even crouched position. I'm thinking sandbags. It weighs about 35 lbs all kitted out. Not a bad recoil, considering it's caliber apparently.

Reply to
clare

There are some videos of US Marines firing the Barrett M107, which fires an armor-piercing round, designed to disable light vehicles. It has the barrel mounted on a recoil system, which also operates the (semi?)-auto action. The kick on that doesn't seem to be too bad, but I think it makes it a total waste to fire off more than one round at a time. The barrel moves back about an inch on the Barrett, which may be the whole secret to handling the kick. Firing a heavy, .50 cal projectile at high velocity has to produce a lot of recoil. The McMillan seems to have some kind of system in the shoulder rest that maybe does the same, and I guess it doesn't affect the accuracy.

Well, it is good that the good guys have these things where they need them.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Wiki says "it is fitted with an effective muzzle brake to reduce recoil." effective muzzle brake to reduce recoil.

Reply to
gray_wolf

Helluva guy, that Jerry. Kudos.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

UFR!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Watching Jerry offhand that M107, it doesn't look like there is much recoil. Watching prone Marines on Youtube makes it look worse. I'll bet an old Mosin Nagant kicks worse. No hydraulic relief. :)

Reply to
Larry Jaques