car rust repair

On 8/31/2017 5:20 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote: ...

I'm late to the party, but I have some personal experience here. Back in '03 I painted a trailer frame with POR-15 and did not top coat it. (An erroneous page on their web site said that it didn't need to be top coated.)

The POR-15 that is on the part of the frame that is exposed is intact and there is no rusting there, or anywhere. It will likely fail sooner than if it was top coated, but I'm pretty satisfied with the 14 years that I've gotten.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

I ended up brushing a similar Rust Converter into the gap between the fender and the wheel well edge, then sealing the openings in the highly curved area with SS heat treat foil stuck on with truck bed liner. Then I sprayed 3M Cavity Wax on the repair and the opposite side wheel well which didn't have the gap. Time will tell...

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Did you tell them of this, and did they offer a quantity of top coat (or top coat and por15) to make up for the confusion? That would be cheap advertising and extremely good customer relations to do so for anyone who purchased product in that time frame, despite no known losses by the consumers. It would lock in consumer loyalty as well as begin free advertising by said consumers to future consumers. Just curious. At the price they're getting for the product, they can afford it, too.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

POR15 followed by Black-Kote

Reply to