Engine knock

Would you say it sounds like a rod knock?

Reply to
Ignoramus8901

can figure on at least a crank regrind and new bearings . Might as well do the rings and a valve job while you're in there ... and don't forget to replace the oil pump .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

A rod knock would mostly follow the crank RPMs. I'm thinking that sounded slower, so might be a bent pushrod, stuck valve, something like that. Rod knocks are kind of low thumps, something in the valve train usually gives a sharper tap tap.

But, REALLY hard to tell from a youtube video. You might pull the valve cover and see if there's anything obvious, either static or with it running.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Possibly a rod, but does sound a lot like a collapsed lifter.

Yes, hard to tell from a video. Pop the rocker cover and look for only 7 of the 8 valves depressing.

- I am a Transfinancial--A rich person born in a poor person's body. Please stop the hate by sending me money to resolve my money identity disorder. --anon

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That double knock is classic

Reply to
clare

at idle it's hard to tell, but thar "double knock" on decel is classic rod bearing rap.

Reply to
clare

Yep. On acceleration the _intensity_ goes way up and almost disappears on decel.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

It was definitely a rod knock, one cylinder was MISSING both bearing inserts. Not sure how it could have happened, the engine definitely was worked on recently.

Ignoramus30839

Oops. How do the crank and rod look after that abuse?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Might depend on how long it ran. How long *did* it run, anyway?

Reply to
me

The engine has evidence of having been worked on recently. I am not yet sure what transpired prior to me buying it from a government agency, maybe they forgot to put the inserts on that cylinder.

Ignoramus30676