Cast Iron Stove Repair

Been doing some work on a 15 year old woodstove, and have come to a stopping point. I have 4 screws that need to be replaced and I'd like to prevent them from binding to the stove castings as the previous ones did.[1] (Couldn't come up with an appropriate sacrafice to offer Google, thus it's results were mostly industrial processes.)

I'm thinking of using stainless steel screws of the same size with a dry graphite lubricant to prevent this, but am unsure how the lubricant will hold up under the high-temperature environment of the stove, and wether this will allow the screws to work out more easily due to thermal expansion / contraction.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated, and thanks for your time!

Reply to
The Gaijin

How about boring old silver colored anti seize compound from the local auto parts store? Helps with exhaust parts!

Cheers, Stan

Reply to
Stan Stocker

Anti sieze named Silver Goop is fantastic for keeping fasteners sieze free in hot areas. We used to use it on aircraft engines in the hot sections, and I also borrowed some, and used it on the internal fasteners on my woodstove a few years back, and just last year had the need to remove them and they came right out. I have been told to use glavanized, as it burns off and makes a anti sieze sort of condition on the fasteners, and I have also been told not to use glavanized or cadmium plated as they lead to siezing. Guess thats why the stove bolts you always see are normally black or unfinished.

Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

[*SNIP!*]

My deepest thanks to both Roy & Stan - I'll be headed to the auto parts store tomorrow!

Reply to
The Gaijin

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 18:38:45 -0800, The Gaijin pixelated:

Many anti-seize lubricants are also hi-temp. The Permatex A/S I used for spark plugs on aluminum heads is good to

2,000°F, hotter than any wood fire, (I pray.) They're made with powdered aluminiuminuminum, y'know.
Reply to
Larry Jaques

I use brass provided it will take the temperature and be strong enough. The differential in thermal expansion between it and cast iron keeps it free.

John

Reply to
John Manders

Most of the anti-sieze compounds are probably good enough but if you can fin the "Pure Nickle" Never-Seez, it's incredible! When I want to weld a nut onto the outside of a piece of pipe and need to keep it aligned with the drilled hole in the pipe, I coat a bolt with the above, screw it through the nut, drop the assembly into the hole and weld the points of the nut. After it cools, I unscrew the bolt. Would that do? :-)

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards
*SNIP!*]

And thanks to Ted, John & Larry as well! Looks like Permatex AS is going to be the winner for this round.

Reply to
The Gaijin