Cast iron that crumbles like cookies?

I was throwing out a completely unremarkable piece of metal junk.

It was a ring the size a bit bigger than a quarter and 1/4" thick.

When the thrown piece fell down, it broke in two.

Curious, I took it in my hands and tried to break it, and it broke easily. I do not have strong hands. Even though it looked rusted and iron like, I thought it might be something else for a moment, but it was strongly magnetic, just like iron.

Anyway, how can it be that cast iron, which was obviously a useful part, can crubmle this easily? Could it be that water somehow permeated it and the rust expanded between grains, making it so breakable?

Ignoramus4694

If you ever see the window sash weights in an old house (pre-1930), you'll see a lot of iron like that. They were the dregs from a cupola. When they got down to something that was as much slag as iron, they poured it into molds for things that sold cheap, that didn't need any strength, and that no one would see.

The item you're talking about is a little small for that, but it probably was something similar.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Possibly ferrite? Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Its probably is (was) an incredibly rare ancient coin, worth incalculabe amounts of money. ...Or ot was, anyway.

Andrew VK3BFA

Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA

Is it possible it may have gone through a fire? I seem to recall that heat made certain types more brittle, but I don't recall if that was semi-permanent damage, or only while hot.

Would it be possible that the ring was a core from a transformer, and didn't need to be particularly strong?

--Glenn Lyford

Reply to
Glenn Lyford

It is almost certainly suffering from graphitic corrosion.

Reply to
ddeu

Probably an iron powder or ferrite toroid, a lot of them are used on computer equipment to reduce EMI. I've seen rings about that size used on the line cords, usually each side is looped through the core. They're very brittle, like ceramic or glass. They're basically powder that's pressed and sintered, no real strength required other than to hold wraps of wire.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

What did the broken surface look like?

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

This one was not brittle. Think about the toughest, strongest cookie that you ever handled, that's what it is like. I do not think that it had an electrical purpose.

Reply to
Ignoramus1414

Light greay and extremely grainy. I kept the pieces, just in case.

Ignoramus1414

Is it magnetic? I see ring magnets stuck on some of our storage racks at the plant. I don't know where they came from. Two I do know about came from a microwave oven I scrapped out. They were on the magnetron.

Paul

Reply to
co_farmer

Do you have a camera with a macro lens? If so, stick something into the photo for scale, and post it. I'd like to take a look, as I'm sure others would.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

yes, it is magnetic.

Ignoramus1414

I was going to say that too. There's been an attack of this in 30 year and older pipework carrying cooling water in UK industrial plant.

Reply to
newshound

I would guess it's ferrite too. But if it's some weird kind of corrosion, I'd be very interested to see a picture.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

as in a magnet will stick to it? or as in it will stick to other iron things?

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy