Pictures of this strange winch

Stationary application of some kind?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My inclination is to think that it wasn't built for "general" pulling or lifting, but make to lift a particular something like, perhaps, a well drilling derrick. Even though there's a fair amount of rope on the drums, they're not very deep, indicating to me that they were designed for a fairly short haul.

The worm gear arrangement requires that it be operated in power-up/power- down manner; it won't free-wheel when the clutch is released.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

This is supposedly for electricians to pull cables underground.

that's what I thought, sans the note abouit vibration, thanks

Reply to
Ignoramus1414

That application makes some sense as it isn't a real drum winch but rather some cable drums grafted onto a double right angle gear reducer. A real drum winch would have both ends of the drum supported and a really high gear ratio. Despite the cable installed on one side, I expect this was used more as a capstan winch for continuous pulling. Many utility trucks I've seen have a similar hydraulic capstan winch mounted on them.

Reply to
Pete C.

(...)

The band brake appears to release when the motor is powered, so *someone* thought it might free wheel.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Or it could be to get the drums to stop quickly after the motor stops (crude positioning).

Dave

Reply to
Dave__67

"Pete C." fired this volley in news:4bc324e1$0$23605 $ snipped-for-privacy@unlimited.usenetmonster.com:

I sort of thought that, too; that it was a capstan. But the tag hole in the drum indicates the cable was intended to terminate at the drum, rather than just being wrapped a couple of turns.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Winston fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@news3.newsguy.com:

Nah... that's just to quickly stop the drums, rather than having the motor "wind down" and pull a couple more feet after the off command.

With a worm drive, it ain't free-wheelin' _anywhere_.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I do not think that it is a capstan.

The cables are terminated at the drum indeed and need to be cut to be taken out.

Ignoramus1414

Or it could be to get the drums to stop quickly after the motor stops (crude positioning).

Dave

We are in violent agreement, Dave and Lloyd.

"FREE-WHEELING: In reference to rolls, spinning without the application of either driving or braking force."

I warn't talking about 'back driving'. That's similar to the way a music box 'inhibitor' or speed regulator works and ain't gonna happen for any reasonable gear ratio of worm drive for motor use.

Himfella anti-freewheeling brake.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Hey Iggy,

I am getting into this a bit late, and assuming this your thread.

I could see this having a "load" on one side and a counterweight on the other. I can't tell from the pix, but if the brake is lifted and the motor shaft is turned, does one drum "wind on" while the other "winds off"?? Some dumbwaiters work like that.

Brian Lawson.

Reply to
Brian Lawson