Changing Coolant

I am getting ready to change from Kool Mist 77 to SC520 on one of my mills, and I was wondering how critical is cleaning in between. I've vacuumed out the coolant tank, and vacuumed up the enclosure. I am wondering now if a wipe down with clean rags is good enough or if I need to soap and water clean out the Kool Mist residue that is probably still on everything.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Umm, we're not talking about open heart surgery here. This is coolant and chips, contaminated with some way oil, too.

If the sump is REALLY nasty, you do want to scrub that out, or it may cause stuff to grow in the new coolant. Otherwise, I would highly doubt any small residue of the old coolant would spoil the properties of the new coolant.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

The sump had a lot of oil, but other wise was fine. I wiped it out with paper shop towels and filled it up with 12 gallons of fresh distilled water. Now to figure out what mixture I want to start with and stir it in.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I ran short on my coolant last winter. So, i mixed it 50:50 with some old cool mist to get me by. Wasn't as much lubricity, but way better than waiting five days for the next five gallon bucket.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend