Cheap gears

I have a friend who needs a couple of sets of cheap gears - basic, flat, spur-gears in pairs. Bore ID could beanything, 1/8" & up.

He has an idea that he wishes to test and we thoght about hobbing a set or two, but for all the use they are going to get, even plastic would work right well. Don't need to be overly durable, just more-or-less functional, to test his (not mine - I swear the damn thing will NOT work - but you know how ya will do dumb stuff for a friend) hypothesis.

Something in a 4" - 6" OD, thickness could be anything from 1/8" on up.

Any ideas???

Thanx,

Flash

Reply to
flash60601

Have them laser cut. Cheap, quick.

Reply to
Half-Nutz

Maybe get a set or two outta an old photocopying machine. There's lots of gears, chains, sprockets, etc., in one of those... Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling

watch for wrap in the long URL

Reply to
Fred R

I have a friend who needs a couple of sets of cheap gears - basic, flat, spur-gears in pairs. Bore ID could beanything, 1/8" & up.

He has an idea that he wishes to test and we thoght about hobbing a set or two, but for all the use they are going to get, even plastic would work right well. Don't need to be overly durable, just more-or-less functional, to test his (not mine - I swear the damn thing will NOT work - but you know how ya will do dumb stuff for a friend) hypothesis.

Something in a 4" - 6" OD, thickness could be anything from 1/8" on up.

Any ideas???

Thanx,

Flash

Reply to
flash60601

Thanks, gents. All good ideas.

And so fast, too. Sorry I reposted,

Flash

Fred R wrote:

flash60601

Auto wrecking yard............Cam gears.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

What about trying "spirograph"

Reply to
reply

Masonite and a bandsaw? Cheap CAD and a laser-printed template?

Stan

Reply to
stans4

shows some 4.75" and 5" nylon gears for about $11 each. (Also see the url I mentioned in "WTB: 32DP gear rack" thread,
) Haven't ordered anything from them so I don't know shipping costs etc.

-jiw

Reply to
James Waldby

You might want to consider plastic sprockets and toothed drive belt. Cheap and less fiddly than gears

snipped-for-privacy@earthl> Thanks, gents. All good ideas.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

A water cutting machine would do that nicely. Martin

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.

Fred R wrote:

Martin H. Eastburn