Successful Saturday

Just got back from out club launch. Counterbalancing my bad experiences at GHS, I had 11 successful launches using 14 motors.

My rebuilt Big Bert (gap-staged D to B version of Big Bertha) flew beautifully this time. The pyrogen painted on the B6-4 nozzle seems to have solved the sustainer-ignition issue. There was a noticeable pause between booster burnout and sustainer light-up (just like Fred S mentioned) - that leads me to believe that the ignition was directly due to the pyrogen and that without it I would have had another failure.

Flew my triple D'd Fliskits Richter Recker. What a great launch - slow enough that you can really see the 3 motors thrustin' away. I used mylar 'chutes and unfortunately 4 of the kevlar thread shrouds on the upper 'chute tore through the material so the nose section came in real fast. Amazingly, other than scraped paint, there was no damage. :^)

Too bad my son opted out of this particular launch - maybe that's why there were no failures!!

Reply to
bit eimer

Cool!

Randy

Reply to
Randy

bit eimer wrote:

GHS, I had 11 successful launches using 14 motors.

Ah, ya beat me to the punch on doing a posting. Our launch here was a good day too. 6 flights on 8 motors, from an A6 up to an I161. It was an extra treat to have the Civil Air Patrol there with their cadets also flying.....never miss a chance to put on a good show for an audience, yes? ;-) That "Good Ship Manatee" you're wanting to build will fly great when you do. It got flight tested and performed perfectly on a D12, even on the "destructive testing" flight to simulate a cluster mis-fire using a D12 and A6. I'd be mindful about trying to do a single motor E9 flight, btw, not enough thrust and so should likely be used clustered only. I'm basing this on the "slow" majestic lift-off the D12's gave. Although my dual deployment test didn't work (glad I'm paranoid and had motor back-up) the flights themselves were picture perfect. Least the altimeter gave apogee read-outs. 900' on an F50 and 1500' with a G64. The C.A.P. really liked the show that G64 gave them, alot of "Ooooo's" and "Ahhhhhh's". A shame the deployment didn't work out, still doing the post mortum, because I had a H128 waiting in the wings for a third flight......... Since I finally got my one friend to tag along to the launch I brought out a special treat for the occassion, my EZI-65 and a I161. The C.A.P. cadets were agog looking at a motor as big/bigger than their rockets and it got every one of their's attention as I walked to the pad proclaiming "It's time to take the gloves off!" The flight was the biggest bang of the day and a real crowd pleaser. Well worth the loooooong walk and the tree climb for recovery. My buddy, when he got back to the ground, "complained" that's why I'd wanted him along. Everyone agreed he's now been broken in properly and was ready for Level 1. My only failure was a boost glider I'd made from a huge foam glider. There was too much wind and the motors too big (2 B6's) for something with a 4 foot wingspan and weighing about 4-5 ounces. It was a (very) short flight and a (very) glorious death.

Alot of the club was launching mid-power stuff and it made for a fun day for the Air Patrol folks. There was a lot of questions about where to get the "big stuff" we had and they want to come play with us again. That, I think, is the truest measure of the day.

Chuck

Reply to
Zathras of the Great Machine

Nice parenting - dis him instead of teaching him. You should continue to emulate your cat buy laying in the sun licking your balls. Stay away from that poor kid.

Reply to
Phil Stein

PHIL!!! NO CATS!!! B^p

| >Too bad my son opted out of this particular launch - maybe that's why there | >were no failures!! | >

| >-- | >...The Bit Eimer NAR 84054 | >"My goal in life is to be the kind of person my cat thinks he is" | | | Nice parenting - dis him instead of teaching him. You should continue | to emulate your cat buy laying in the sun licking your balls. Stay | away from that poor kid.

Reply to
Gene Costanza

Other than for competition PD type chutes, I make my chutes with across the top shroud lines to prevent this from happening. Refer to

for my tips on parachute materials, construction, and packing.

Bob Kaplow

BTW, I just updated this with a couple corrections and a few additions.

Bob Kaplow

Gee Phil, take you off ignore for a couple of days and this is what happens - big surprise.

Of course, if you had any friends, perhaps you'd recognize normal guy-to-guy razing when you see it - after all, my son was sitting right next to me when I wrote that.

I'd show him what you wrote back, but given my style of parenting, I'd rather not have him exposed to your style speech (or parenting).

Reply to
bit eimer

Nice FAQ - thanks Bob.

Reply to
bit eimer

If you had bothered to communicate that fact it would have been different.

Please replonk me. I have nothing to contribute to you.

Reply to
Phil Stein