Re: Dell Computers....was..... When You Hear The Heavy Accent

Dell recently announced they are bringing customer support for business systems back to the USA, to overcome language problems. "Tech support calls from customers with Optiplex desktop and Latitude notebook computers will now be handled from existing call centers in Texas, Idaho and Tennessee, the company said"

Texas and Tennesse, yeah, that'l help the language problem .

As to not helping with spyware, check out this link the the support forums:

I wouldn't say they're not providing help, just not directly. How can the support techs deal with every new scumware and the multitude of products to remove them. You don't expect Dell to help you with PhotoShop or Shoot'em Up Bang Bang?

Val ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ The difference between hearsay and heresy is that hearsay is the unsubstantiated statements we believe, and heresy is the unsubstantiated statements some>From someone who has spent the better part of 300K with Dell in the last

five years, I have seen none of the problems you describe. Dell's support >has been stellar the few times we needed it. >In the 100 or so systems and servers I have purchased from Dell, I can count >the number of legitimate warranty issues on one hand. >Every time it's time to purchase systems, Workstations and servers, I always >try to beat Dell for service and overall value. So far, no one has even come >close. >Bill >

Such may have been the case in the past, but not any more. Dell went overseas with "customer service" and in so doing effectively trashed the system. More corporate greed. Dell has also instituted a policy of not helping their customers with software and program problems- specifically assistance in removing spyware and hijackers. They will not even direct the customer to a web site that has such information on it. The reason, of course, is that Dell computers come from the point of assembly with Dell proprietary spyware installed !

Reply to
VManes

Funny there's all this talk about Dell and overseas. Here in Nashville, there are a LOT of people doing phone tech support.

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

I couldn't agree more. I made the mistake of opening up a "preferred" account with Dell, and purchased a computer from them for the kids. With that account, payments are deferred for 6 months with no interest. It was ordered and delivered 2 weeks before Christmas. Since then I keep getting calls from India telling me I am late with payments and there is no such thing as a preferred account. Bullpucky, I have the paperwork! After many many phone calls to Dell trying to get a person who can actually speak the English language, I am at the end of my rope. I have given them my final arguement and have CLEARLY stated my position. Either they live up to my agreement, or the computer gets sent back and replaced with another brand. Ironicly, the only person I could reach in this country was in the Returns Department. He fully agreed with my position and is trying to avoid a return, but I think , as much as he is trying, it may be a lost cause. Time will tell. Chooch p.s. I love my Compaq. They have always been there for me.

Reply to
chooch

The business support is still done in the USA, the single user support was outsourced.

Reply to
wannandcan

chooch wrote: [snip]

Just pray that you don't need service from HP/Compaq. I recently had one of the most frustrating support experiences of my life when one of the onboard IDE controllers died under warranty.

First, HP's preferred system of Instant Messaging-based support is a slow, irritating way of doing things. Secondly, their original attempt to diagnse the problem had them insisting that they should send me a replacement CD-ROM drive when the evidence and my own experimentation clearly demonstrated that the controller on the motherboard had failed. Thirdly, although HP did manage to turn around my system in about a week's less time than they'd originally quoted when I had to ship it back in, they loused up the built-in network interface, and since the original warranty had expired while it was in transit back to me, they tried to argue that it wasn't their responsibilty to correct the problem they caused while they were repairing it.

After spending half an hour trying to explain to the guy on the other end of the phone exactly why it WAS their responsibility to fix what they had broken, I came to the conclusion that it would be more time- and cost-effective for me if I drove out to the computer store, bought a third-party network card and installed it myself. That is what it took to get my system back to where it was before the IDE controller went out and HP "repaired" the system.

Basically, my complaints are that 1) The person on the other end when I first called in didn't have the savvy to deviate from his canned script when it was clear that their process wasn't working. 2) When HP messed up an unrelated part of my system, it would have been more pleasant to have oral surgery than to get their tech to agree to go through the process of correcting their mistake.

The ironic part is that this is the first white box ("off the shelf") system I'd ever bought. Prior to this, I either built 'em myself or bought a custom system from one of the integration/assembly shops in town. Having had memories of good support from HP three years back with a relative's computer, I figured that there shouldn't be support problems...

I've two systems I plan to replace at home this year. Neither will be replaced with HP or Compaq equipment. The whole culture at HP has changed so radically there that I refuse to do business with them again.

-fm

address in the header is bogus. See my sites for the real address.

Reply to
Fritz Milhaupt

I'll make two recommendations here:

  1. If you insist on buying a monopoly PC, buy a dell with their three year "in home" service plan. I've had several Dells, and when they do fail (my laptop glide point mouse "buttons" broke off), they sent a tech in 24 hours (my schedule) who showed up on time, and then proceeded to disassemble and repair my laptop. Then he tested it to make sure all functions continued to work: dial modem, TCP internet, memory, disk, etc. I was pleased.

  1. Buy a Mac from Apple with AppleCare. You have to send it to them or take it to an Apple Store where for the most part, their tech's are Apple headsĀ who actually want to fix things. I had an iBook whose battery compartment lock failed. While not officially covered (it is a "case" problem, likely caused by the user), then said, "send it in anyway. We'll fix it." They did and I had it back in 48 hours with a shiny new case.

All that said, I have several HP printers and I've not had problems with warranty repairs. They send me a new one, I send the old one back.

Ed.

in article snipped-for-privacy@ferrousoxide.net, Fritz Milhaupt at snipped-for-privacy@ferrousoxide.net wrote on 4/1/04 3:41 AM:

...HP horror story deleted

Reply to
Edward A. Oates

I can tell right away that Mr. Oates is a city dweller. I live 200 miles north of Toronto, the nearest DELL center is in Toronto. The nearest Apple Center is in Toronto.

Dell does NOT care about individual clients in this area, they have proven this to us time and time again. Anything the few people who use Apples up have to buy, they have to mail order. There is one stop here, but the only have the basic stuff and not much at any given time.

Apples and Dell computers fail at the same rate as any other computer, nine times out of ten, they have the same parts in them. Only the BIOS and Operating system are proprietary.

My suggestion would be to buy from a shop who will also fix it there, or has provision to repair on site. My whole company is based on the "ON-SITE" principal and has it's foundations deeply rooted in "Customer Service". I go to my customer and our motto is "Helping you understand technology better." Most problems are fixed within an hour or two. If it is a parts situation, I can have the parts next day 90% of the time or second day at the most. My client's computers are only down for 2 days, not 2 weeks becuase they had to send it to Dell or Apple or HP or Compaq or IBM.

Something to think about. We all know they WILL fail, best get the proper solution to the problem of "What happens when it fails."

Reply to
wannandcan

Guilty as charged: I live in Palo Alto, CA.

It is true that if you live further out than 50 miles from an urban center, and/or Dell won't sell you "in home service," then you pretty much are on your own. But if Dell will sell you the "in home service," they actually drive to your house. My tech drove from Tracy, which is 62 miles.

WRT Failure rates: Apple machines have pretty much been more reliable on most surveys, but that doesn't help when YOUR machine breaks. I've found the AppleCare techs pretty good, and there has always been a more senior tech around to talk to for a complicated software crash (turned out to be a failing Xircom USB hub).

I have found PC manufacturers USELESS for software issues: they buck everything to Microsoft.

Apple machines disk drives and memory may be like everyone else's, but the similarities end there. The fans, mother board, CPU, sometimes even their DVD drives are special. But I like 'em better.

If you have a good, local computer fixit shop as Will's apparently is, terrific: us 'em. But I've found most computer fix it shops have the same skill as my cat at fixing computers. For example, I wouldn't take anything to Fry's (a really really big retailer to the geek community here is California) which I ever wanted to see run again.

I figure if I want to build my own computer from the various parts (cases, power supplies, mother boards, et al), then I can also fix just about anything which fails. If I don't want to do that, I buy a brand which has some way of on site, local store, or send it in get it back soon repair and warranty facilities.

Ed.

in article 6q%ac.19262$ snipped-for-privacy@read2.cgocable.net, snipped-for-privacy@CreditValley.Railway at snipped-for-privacy@cogeco.cant wrote on 4/1/04 1:01 PM:

Reply to
Edward A. Oates

FWIW, I have bought consistently at 15% above 'shed' rates over the years from one guy. Everything that has ever gone wrong has always been fixed, mostly FOC.

You can buty a compuetr anywhere. Buing aftre slaes servie is much harder, and costs money.

The level of actual service bears no relation to the printed gurantees or indeed to amthing oher than the will of a small trader to keep on doing business with you.

AS Good Americans you ought to have realised that putting a disconnect between the pesron who is supplying the service and the sale to you that funds it, is a recipe for as little as won't get you sued. Nt as much as is needed to get you to come back again.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What's next, you ask? Well it's all been very hush-hush, but the word inside the beltway is that GW has secretly selected John Kerry as his next running mate. Obviously a pre-emptive move and a pretty astute one at that: Bush continues to run things his way and Kerry goes into seclusion, a la Cheney.

This public service announcement brought to you by Sir F. Apollo.

Reply to
Corelane

And Microsoft bucks everything back to the PC maker. God! I almost forgot about one of those experiences. It took a month to get the problem fixed... sort of.

And Hey! I live 30 minutes from you (non-commute time) Art

PM:

Reply to
Art Marsh

Geek community??? Heck, everyone goes there because of their sales. And I usually pick that day to go get some simple memory and get stuck is some ver-r-r-ry long lines (Like now as they just opened the Concord store). I do NOT like even speaking to their sales staff and I always have to check the print out pages to make sure they ordered the correct part up for me. I have never used their Tech Support desk at all.

I built about 30-40 that way for some cheapskate customers (like family) over the years. I have quit doing that lately as Dell, Compaq/HP, Gateway, etc., all offer systems cheaper than I can build them from scratch. To the tune of $200 cheaper (at least) per unit.

Art

Reply to
Art Marsh

Fry's hasn't been a "geek" place since they started doing the theme stores. The only reason I go to Fry's anymore is that I need something right now.

An equivalent machine? For the same money as Dell wants I can usually step-up on Processor speed, memory and motherboard. Granted, it's not the hugh savings you could get a couple of years ago. I've taken to getting barebones systems to start. The savings (not from Dell) on piecemealing often isn't enough to overcome the shipping.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

Yabbut what is your time worth providing support vs. telling them to call Bangalore for support?

Don't bother to reply via email...I've been JoeJobbed.

Reply to
Jeff Sc.

What is it worth? The first time my call to "you" for help gets directed to Bangalore, that's the last time I buy anything from "you".

Reply to
Froggy

in article 3HDbc.67109$JO3.39525@attbi_s04, Paul Newhouse at snipped-for-privacy@pimin.rockhead.com wrote on 4/3/04 10:49 AM:

Fry's still sells bare processors, memory, power supplies, chips, yada yada yada. Non-geeks now go there, too, but if you know what you want so you don't have to talk to the sales help at all, and you don't go on week ends, the lines are fairly short here in Palo Alto (the western themed store). I've not been in the others for a while; maybe they are less geeky now, but the PA store has lots of electronic component stuff. Not as good as Quement's was for ham radio or regular old school stuff, but you can waste your time and money there for computer age pieces and build your own.

Reply to
Edward A. Oates

There is still a "geek"ish section in the stores. If you catch a sale for the particular thing you want they can be price competative with the net.

Take a lunch if you want to talk to them. Once'n a while some friends and I will go there and listen to the "sales pitch" some of them try to use on unsuspecting customers. It's laughable ... but, it gets boring pretty quickly. They have no clue, what's scary is that most of the customers are less clueful. I always enjoyed the sales person who sold the customer the square connector fiber switch and the round connector fiber cables (there was a pretty large clear picture on the box, hold the round cable end up against the picture of the square hole and ask the clown, "How does this work?").

I haven't been there in quite awile. I was thinking of the newer stores; the one on Argules (sp?), Brokaw Rd (I think thats the street it's on). The one on Durham & 680 is just a manufacturers paste squirt up. If you want washers, dryers, TV's, boom boxes, VCR's they have competative prices.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

Yes equivalent. To beat them I would have to buy all Fry's components at the teaser prices which would take months. And then I could only beat The Dell price by $50-$75. When Dell offers their sales or free shipping, there is no contest. I am $200 behind them. The competition for assembled and bundled desktops has gotten very rough. And when you add the preloaded software, I really start falling back as my retail cost is high. From Dell's Home/Home Office Webpage. You will find other specials there as well. Try looking at Fry's Friday or Saturday adds to beat it.

1st example;

Dimension 4600 New Low Price Intel ® Pentium® 4 Processor 2.8GHz w/533MHz FSB Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition 17 in (16 in viewable,.27dp) E773c CRT Monitor FREE Shipping - Online Only! FREE Fuji 2MP Digital Camera and Dell All-In-One Printer! $100 instant rebate Total: $649

Art

begin 666 bullet.gif M1TE&.#EA" `'`(#_`,# P ```"'Y! $`````+ `````(``

Reply to
Art Marsh

Jeff,

I did not do that very long for the reason you mentioned. But family is non-transferable I am afraid. But even them I have pointed to Dell for the last year or two.

Art

Reply to
Art Marsh

We just priced some Optiplex 3GHz machines, 1GB RAM, XP PRO, 128MB video cards with 19" LCD for around $1500.00

They're giving them away.

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni