Cheap Volunteer labor

The museum got a couple of gears cast. And that was good, but the hubs do not have any hole thru them. So need to drill a couple of holes thru the h ubs. Not the easiest thing to do with the machinery available. I think th e holes are

2 and 5/16th in diameter and maybe two inches in length.

I have a 20 inch drill press, but the gears are just over 27 inches in diam eter. And the drill press at the museum is smaller. Fortunately the gears are spoked. So one plan is to take the head off the drill press, put the gear on the base with the column going up between the spokes. And put the head back on the drill press. Sometimes you just have to make do with what you have.

So have been thinking about anular cutters. Maybe getting one off Ebay. A brief look finds most of them will not make a hole two inches long. So th at could involve cutting from both sides. Which is of course a PITA becaus e you have to flip the gear over.

I have never used an anular cutter but have some suspicions. I expect anu lar cutters do not work well in a portable drill. It would be nice to dril l using a portable drill and then flip the gear over and drill from the oth er side. And get a fair sized hole thru the gear hub before putting it on the drill press.

So is that possible, practical? Or is it a sure way to get beaten to deat h by the portable drill when it hangs up?

The other question is would it be worthwhile to use a anular cutter in the drill press and cut from both sides. Yeah that is a judgement call, but wh at is your opinion.

Yes the gears should have cores in the hubs, but they did not.

One last thought is to drill a relatively small hole thru the hub and enla rge it using a cutting torch and finish on the drill press.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

drill it as far as you can then toss a boring bar in the drill press. IF the press is even close to being a good one it should be able to handle light cuts. OR Depending on the location you might be able to find a guy with a mill in the garage that would do it for reasonable.

Reply to
Steve W.

I just turn the head around on the column and clamp the base to the work. I filed off the shoulder in the head that the column rests on so I can slide it down closer to the base.

I've bored a 3" hole in steel with a hole saw in a large, slow Milwaukee hand drill. The accuracy wasn't good enough for a bearing, but if the pilot hole was properly located it would get you close enough to finish the bore with a jury-rigged line boring bar in pillow blocks.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins