check out Lagun mill

I'm wanting to replace my old 1J Bridgeport with a mill that uses 40 taper tooling. This time around I want to get a mill in very good condition.

I found this Lagun FTV-4 at a jockey near me:

The dealers in this location don't have a good reputation, from what I've heard. Been there many times, but never made a purchase.

Anyway, is there a series of standard checks to determine condition of a mill? Things like backlash middle and end of each axis - what are "good" values. other checks? also, anyone know how to determine this unit's age based on serial number.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Karl, I went through this last fall for my brother. You should be able to pull up that thread on google. Anyway, my suggestion may sound radical - buy a BRAND NEW Lagun mill! They're cheaper than Bridgeports, and you are in business, right? They'd ship out to you from Southern California, so you'd have to add on some trucking cost, but you'd get just what you want and it would be *right*.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Was this the thread?

I went to Dave Meridan's site, not much for a mill there, other than to say why not to bother with indicator readings. His lathe advice was good.

I've seen the machine tool reconditioning book's advice. its WAY to complex for evaluating a machine, IMHO.

I'd like to buy new, but have to be careful with the milady factor. A used machine will cost me the price of a machine plus a new couch. A new machine will cost me the price of the machine plus new carpet and flooring through out the house. The rule is: I get something, she gets something.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

No, 'twas this one. The one you cite was ancient. Hoary. Moldy even.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

If it's a tool that is used in your business operations, it does *not* qualify as you getting anything, therefore she is *not* entitled to anything either.

Reply to
Pete C.

I take it, you're not married; or you're getting divorced.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Um, it does if it works the other way. Her trip to Tibet and China got me a spectrum analyzer for the business. I'm not complaining.

Reply to
Jim Stewart