Check vise and/or jaws?

Hello all,

I finished squaring the block for my latest part, set up a stop, found

0,0 and clamped the evolving part in the vise when I remembered that I should check the alignment of the vise. There was no reason to expect misalignment, but one never knows, and all the more so given that I recently shimmed the column.

The vise wasn't just in line, it was as close to dead nuts as I've seen. Ok, it _could_ have moved favorably, but, I think something else is at work.

Having the block in the vise, I indicated on the block, which I had clamped with 1.5 inches front to back on the vise. Normally, I stand a wide parallel in the vise such that it stands above the jaws enough to give the indicator a nice surface. In that orientation, the vise is squeezing a thin plate that would be "easy" to bend. A 1.5 inch deep beam, even Al, is going to be much more ridgid in bending.

Indicating off of a parallel, I began to suspect there was a "bump" in the middle/right the jaws, and have been meaning to dig into it and ask some questions. Now that I've seen how steady the indicator reading can be across the vise, I put the feed lever in neutral and started typing :)

The vise is a Kurt clone (H&H). Is there something simple that could be wrong? Some junk under one of the jaws comes to mind; my hunch is that you will have me start with removing the jaws and cleaning. What should I do to find and hopefully fix it? Or, is it unrealistic to expect a on-edge parallel to be flat when clamped in the vise? If that's the problem, should I make another "deep" block to use for aligning the vise? What material would be best?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Schwab

Just indicate on the fixed jaw of the vise.

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Bob,

I have a good opportunity to try that, because I did some more work on the collet chuck box and the vise was in the way. I think I tried the fixed jaw and went to the parallels hoping for better results, in part on the theory that clamping the vise makes the conditions as close as possible to having a part in the vise.

I'll give it a try and report back. Thanks!

Bill

Reply to
Bill Schwab