Chip control idea (roller blinds)

I have 6' tall by 3' wide free standing shelving behind my Bridgeport. I've been considering how to keep all the chips from milling from landing on the shelving. I just figured out a solution. A roller blind. I'll attach it to the top shelf out of the chip spray zone, and pull it down to keep all the flying chips from covering the other shelves.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

other shelves.

Very good idea! Hummm...so why isnt your BP in a corner like it was designed to be located?

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I do not know about his specific application, but I keep my drill press along a long straight wall between two work benches so I can easily feed material larger than the table over the press for drilling. I have found myself drilling stuff as long as 20 feet this way. I just set blocks on the work benches (after I clear them off. LOL.) to rest material on, and clamp a piece of channel to the table to keep my work piece roughly straight. The back wall of my shop is 60 feet, but I have rollaway toolboxes, motor stands, etc in the way. A couple folks have wondered why I do not have all my equipment together. Mill, drill, saws, etc. Each thing is positioned were practical to give the most room to feed material into it, and the few items where this just isn't practical like my table saw are on kick up wheel stands. I step on the pedal, roll it out where I have room, set it down on its legs, cut what I need, and reverse.

Lots of small shops I have seen use their mill for drilling. I use mine for anything that will fit on it anymore. It's a mini mill though so I have limited its working space to about 3 feet on either side. I am still shopping for a bigger mill or a better drill press. Form what I have seen the better quality of either both cost real money.

I like the idea of having reference materials directly behind the machine. I have related tools, clamps, blades, etc on a pegboard behind my equipment. I take something off and the place to put it is right in front of me. The blinds is a nice idea for book shelves.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

This little electrically heated room in a corner of my garage is 8'x 11' with a

14x30" Clausing against one 8' wall and the bridgeport centered on the other 8' wall. The corner just wouldn't work. Remember, this is Michigan, it still gets cold up here.

Actually, it was pretty warm today, only had the temp up to 60F but I was cutting a keyway using a boring bar and the carriage taking a 0.001" at a time. That is a lot of cranking when the keyway is in a L00 taper for a nose protector for a collet set up.

Wes

Wes

Well...its been in the low 40s the last couple nights about 3am. Does that count? But after the rain..the fog has been really really heavy.

cutting a keyway

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I am so looking forward to not watching my lathe and bridgeport rust this spring, speaking of fog and condensation.

It got up to 37F today. Steel roof is about to shed a load of snow. Must be a midwinter thaw. We didn't have one last year :(

Wes

Wes