Chip fork and Machinists' Backscratcher

I turned the text of "Machinists' comb and backscratcher" (posted 22 January 2012 to RCM) into a text file and added two photos of the chip fork, and put them up at the Dropbox. They may be found at:

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Hey Joe,

Thank you.

Pix is worth a thousand words. Looks good.

Just looking at the pix before reading the .txt file, I thought the aluminum piece was designed to be put on the tines and scooched up to the bar before "shovelling" to make it a "push-off" to release the swarf. Worth a try?

Take care.

Brian Lawson

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Thanks.

The fit between the aluminum bar and the tines is quite tight, about

0.002" diameter difference, and I bet that the tiny chips would get in there and jam. Even without chips, it can be hard to move in places. I didn't have any problem getting stuff off the tines by wiping with a rag.

But if it were an issue, I think I'd make a comb bar with multiple parallel slots to admit the tines. Then the pushoff tool could be used at any time, not needing to have been installed in advance.

Or, just use a chip brush.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn