chuck for a speeder socket wrench

Is there a chuck that will fit on a speeder wrench to make it a de facto bit and brace? B and B's are hard to come by, was trying to see if I could make one of my speeders do double duty. Helpful when working on fence posts way out in the pasture away from a drop cord, and don't need recharging.

Tim

What about one of these?

Tom

Reply to
Tom

For auger bits why not try

? They also make a 3/8" drive variant for 1/3 the price of their 1/2" drive item.

Reply to
RAM^3

Couple of suggestions.... Get an adapter for your speeder wrench and weld the chuck to the adapter so you can just pop on the chuck when you need it... that way you still have the speeder wrench for other uses. Secondly, go to some of your local "yard sales" and you probably will find a brace laying on the table for a buck or two. They are very expensive if bought new. Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling

Old B&B's are as common as dirt at yard sales. They usually go for less than $5. I think you would find that the speed wrench doesn't have quite the torque or hand fit for doing much boring. Bugs

Reply to
Bugs

Interesting

not a bad idea.

i've been digging the bins at auction and antique houses, but most of the braces are broken, haven't found any good ones, and the Scot in me won't let me pay for a new one...

I have a small chuck that has a 1/4" hex stub on the back of it. It looks like it was made to plug into one of those quick-change drill bit holders. It's only a 1/4" chuck, so probably smaller than what you had in mind. It's marked "Jacobs MULTI-CRAFT USA". I've never used it for anything.

You could probably have someone make an adapter that would fit a regular chuck, but I agree with the guy who said a speeder handle might not take as much torque as you'd like-- the ones I've seen are made for speed, not torque.

Reply to
Ron Bean

All you need is the chuck that accepts the tang on an auger bit. Saw off the rest and weld a socket on it that will accept your speeder.

Reply to
Don Foreman

see:

You might have to cut and paste

Was plastered on the back of a new catalog. As far as braces are concerned, both the local Ace and True Value still have them, with plastic furniture they were like $15. The bits are what costs. My dad used them all the time for boring holes in walls for running house electrical wiring and conduits, he claimed that it was a lot safer than power drilling since he could stop immediately when he hit a pipe or wire in the wall. With the proper bit, you could hook the wire through a hole in the bit and fish it back through, too. Have a couple of those, still.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Haven't checked for quite a while, but the *last* new brace I purchased (good one, too) was about $48US. Ball bearings and all. Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling