Chucks for 2 1/4 - 10 spindle?

This is for my dividing head (LW Chuck Co). It has a spindle that has a 2 1/4" - 10 thread for mounting chucks. It presently has a four jaw chuck, but I am hoping to find a three jaw chuck at an affordable price, probably on ebay.

Perhaps 2 1/4 - 10 chucks were made for some common type of lathe, how would I look for one?

If I cannot find one, I can just keep using the four jaw chuck, so it is not that big of a deal.

Ignoramus16571

Ignoramus16571

that's not what you do - you get a blank chuck back and thread it to the desired thread on your lathe

Reply to
Bill Noble

You could also look on eBay. Heck, where you are in the industrial heartland, probably craigslist, too. --Glenn Lyford

Reply to
Glenn Lyford

Or -- get a chuck which uses a separate backplate, and machine up one for the 2-1/4x10 nose. Your lathe will cut a 10 TPI thread, won't it? My Clausing will.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Backplates are relatively easy to make, I've made several out of hot- rolled slugs cut from flat stock, leftovers from heavy equipment manufacture. Integral back chucks may be easier to use, but you can tweek your own chuck backplate to whatever runout you're willing to spend the time reducing it to. I think it was the Southbend lathe manual where I first saw the procedure. You can also get partially finished backplates from a number of suppliers, cost a lot more than hot-rolled scrap, though. Not sure why you'd want to go to a 3 jaw on a dividing head, presumably you'd want your cuts to be precisely located around the center axis of your work piece, 3-jaws aren't noted for accuracy of centering.

Stan

Reply to
stans4