Metalcrunching: '59 Chevy meets '09 Malibu

If you wish you had an old Chebby for an everyday driver, you might want to look at this first. This is metalworking of the scary kind:

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

History channel had a show on auto companies a few years back, I remember one of the exec's they interviewed saying the cars made during the 50-60's were the worst cars ever, no reguard for safety, quality or anything else either, style sold cars, nothing else mattered. They could sell as many cars as they could make. So they just cranked them out and shipped them to dealers.

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

Of course, it never occurs to anyone to teach drivers not to drive head-on into an approaching car. (or a bridge abutment, or whatever.)

Drunk drivers? They're just another road hazard - hasn't anyone ever heard of "defensive driving?"

This could solve all our traffic safety problems:

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Rich Grise wrote: ...

Reminds me of another suggestion that I read regarding how to get people to drive more safely: instead of an air bag on/in the steering wheel, there should be a BIG spike, pointed rearward.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Speaking of old cars, I was at the junk yard yesterday as they brought in this older (80's ?) Chevy Caprice. It was beautiful: no rust or dents, cloth interior without much wear. It had been "clunkered". I.e., the engine destroyed. Broke my heart. I'm sure that it made financial sense for the owner to clunker it, but it still hurt.

Now, one could buy it cheap & put a new engine in it, but the cost to do that would probably exceed the market value. Sigh.

There were lots of other cars there that had been clunkered. Many very decent looking. "Clunker", "CC", "C4C" spray painted on them.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt