Clausing 5904 vfd conversion pictures in dropbox

I started using Joe back when I first started with Linux and Emacs took forever to load just to make a simple edit to a config file, this was back in '95 and Linux kernel 1.1.59, Later I was involved in something called LRP (Linux Router Project) which was basically a small footprint distro loaded to a RAM drive via 3.5 floppy, usually formatted larger than 1.44 mgs, that setup a NATing router on something like a 486 class machine, this was before all the usual suspects were making 'Internet routers'. Joe's small footprint was especially helpfull then.

I believe that project is dormant at this time but even then things were possible that you don't get with todays home class routers.

That's not a bad idea, tooling up for just this small job might be prohibitive, but now that I think of it there is a local printer that used to do silkscreens and etched aluminum data plates of a drive company I worked at long long ago. I should see if they still survive.

Reversing is only part of it, one of the features on this lathe was a mechanical clutch and brake actuated via a lever on the right side of the apron (don't know if yours has that). I'd feel better with a spindle that comes to a rapid stop when told to do so, not only for impending crashes but for errant stringy chips interfacing with body parts, or body parts interfering with spindles, chuck, work, etc :)

Gas stove here also, and I also figured cold resistance would be fine considering the duty cycle and amount of power dumped into it, it's not like its continuous are anything.

That's basically my MO as well, even if I kill the power, letting the lathe coast to a stop and pulling the chuck the last half a turn by hand:)

Fry's (at least the one here) has everything from electronic components to computer parts to TV's, washers, dryers and everything else consumer electronics. I don't know if I'd exactly call it Mecca, but definitely worth having in the area.

Regards Paul

Reply to
Paul

[ ... ]

O.K. Jove is also significantly smaller than emacs -- but with a similar command set until you get into the lisp enhanced stuff in emacs. On Solaris 10, here is what I find:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root staff 275080 Mar 23 1999 /usr/local/bin/jove*

-r-xr-xr-x 2 root bin 6551000 Apr 27 2007 /opt/sfw/bin/emacs* ======================================================================

And jove is that much smaller while its executable is not stripped, while that of emacs is stripped. :-)

====================================================================== /usr/local/bin/jove: ELF 32-bit MSB executable SPARC Version 1, dynamically linked, not stripped

/opt/sfw/bin/emacs: ELF 32-bit MSB executable SPARC Version 1, dynamically linked, stripped ======================================================================

Hmm ... I wonder how it compares with the stuff which you can do with pf (Packet Filter) on OpenBSD when running it as a firewall/router?

[ ... ]

[ ... ]

A lot of that tooling is only necessary if you are going to photosensitize your own panels. If the kits are still available, that will be a lot less resource intensive. You'll need:

1) A UV source for exposing (though you can get away with photofloods and much longer exposure times. 2) An amber light bulb (bug-free type) for handling the photosensitized plates. (They aren't *that* sensitive. :-) 3) Someplace fairly dark which will carry off the fumes of the trichlor developer. 4) A glass tray for doing the etching in, since I'm not sure how well plastic photo trays will deal with the NaOH, and they *certainly* won't deal with the trichlor developer well at all. 5) Either a drawing package and a B&W laser printer for making the negatives directly on mylar, or an enlarger and Kodalith Ortho (or simply a 4x5 camera for making smaller data plates and nameplates, as I have done at home in the past.

That should be enough as long as you are working with pre-coated boards.

I even used it for making a property label for my concertina case, calling it an:

AN/PNT 47T

(And -- if you have the standard for the AN numbers available, that translates to:

P in first position: Man or pack portable

N in second: Sound in air

T in third: Generator

And the instrument was a 47-key treble, hence the last part, which was stamped into a white (bare aluminum) area on the plate, so it could be set up for anyone's instrument.

It also had a place for the owner's name to be stamped.

O.K. So far, I have the single-phase motor and have had to learn to do without rapid spindle stops. :-) Some of these days, I'm going to put the three-phase motor in, and wire the VFD to start/stop/reverse from the drum switch -- plus a tiny holder below that for the speed pot (rescued from an old Bridgeport BOSS-3 control pod. A nice Allen-Bradley pot behind a knob and mount which looks like the switches on the same. (Hmm ... I could use one of those switches to tell it which pulley step the belt is on, if I need that for scaling the tach. :-)

[ ... ]

Agreed. But I just had to mention that. :-)

O.K. I do it under power, and just pop out the half-nuts at the right time. (At least until I have to do metric threads on that machine. :-) *There* is where really slow operation and quick reversing will be helpful.

[ ... ]
[ ... ]

O.K. I think that Fry's was one of the places which I hit while visiting my sister in the California area -- though Weird Stuff was more fun. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols