Clausing drill press

Not so much a charmed life..but Iggy and I both live in the dying grave yards that once were the basic foundations of American manufacturing and industry.

RIP

1857-2009

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Joe Autodrill recommended a Grizzly drill press back in May.

This ought to get you the thread. Or you can go to RCM on google groups and search on grizzly drill press joe

=20 Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I forgot to mention that the Grizzly drill press that Joe recommended costs $1250 and weighs 656 lbs.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

And what do you have for heavy use?

Ignoramus30818

Thanks for the links. If you run across something like the Clausing, let me know. You are a bit more fortunate than me living closer to the cities. Most anything I see in auction seems to be from the Twin cities area. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Shipping would be fine, if from a trustworthy seller. Other wise I feel a bit better picking up in person as I could possibly back out of a sour deal. Tough to back out if the machine if shipped 1/2 way across the country! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

I forgot to mention that the Grizzly drill press that Joe recommended costs $1250 and weighs 656 lbs.

Dan

I have looked at Grizzly, but I would rather spend less money on some old american iron, and get more machine! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Ok..tell me what you want, and how much you want to spend on the machine itself, and Ill find you something.

And it will be in good, usable condition. Professional word on that.

Gunner, Owner, Coyote Engineering

Gunner Asch

I would like to keep the total bill under $1000, machine, shipping. It would be great if you keep you eyes open for me, but don't commit on anything! I just really started seriously looking and may find something somewhat local. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

So what exactly are you looking for?

Gunner

Gunner Asch

All my equipment is only for light home use. But some think my Mazak M4,

16,000 lb. machine 22" x 72" don't qualify. Nor my Matsuura bed mill 12,000 lb 96" table twin spindle.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Something simular to the line of the fore mentioned Clausing. Varible speed would be nice, gear drive would be great, (but more $$ I am sure!). 1 to

1-1/2 HP, 208-240 three phase would be best. Something not too large, space is a premium. Greg
Reply to
Greg O

Ok..Ill find you something.

Sure a Bridgeport wont do the job for you? I can get them for less than a grand. Often times..far less.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

No need for a mill, or the room for it either. I just want to drill holes! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

You are aware that a mill is superior to any drill press..right? Well..superior to most of them. Plus they have high and low range gear boxes in their heads and 2hp motors and up.

They can be run at 10 rpm, to 4000 rpm. My Gorton Master Mill has turned

4"..thats 4 INCH spade drills without breathing hard.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Yep! Worked at a machine shop for three years. I don't need a mill, and don't have the room for one, and if I needed one about a mile away there is a "slightly", (maybe well used!), used Bridgeport that Karl sold to a friend of mine. I am conversing with a fellow with a Powermatic drill press, the variable speed model right now. He wants tooo much, but I gotta check it out any way. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Never pay too much for anything.

Ignoramus28865

If you dont get it, let me know. Ive put out calls to friends and associates for a big drill press for you.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Why does that last comment worry me a bit knowing what you do?! Define "big"! Probably something like this! (Link is safe!)

Greg O

Hummm...you dont really want one that big? I asked you about it already!

Damn..now I got to go call everyone again...damnit.

Gunner

Gunner Asch