Clausing drill press

wrote:

If you dont get it, let me know. Ive put out calls to friends and associates for a big drill press for you.
Gunner

Why does that last comment worry me a bit knowing what you do?! Define "big"! Probably something like this! (Link is safe!) http://tiny.cc/8LmfQ Greg

Hummm...you dont really want one that big? I asked you about it already!
Damn..now I got to go call everyone again...damnit.
Gunner

http://cgi.ebay.com/20-Swg-1-5HP-Spdl-Clausing-2277-DRILL-PRESS-Vari-Spee_W0QQitemZ200396058523QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2ea8892f9b
Very good drill presses. Similar ones sold last week at a liquidation auction for $200 apiece. Make sure not to pay this imachine asshole $2000 for something like this.
All that imachine did was, he brought them to his warehouse and cleaned them.
Note that most of them have a three phase motor. Some of those are single voltage only, and furthermore, some are 440v only. This drill press from imachine, for example, is 440v only. (which means it is useless in a home shop).
In any case, be ready to spend more $$ to run the three phase motors on those drill presses, from single phase.
I just finished installing a similar Powermatic 1200 drill press (1 HP, 3 phase). I run it from 110v now.

I have a 10 HP VFD waiting to power up a three phase unit if I go that way. I have tried it on single phase, running a three phase motor and it works, so I am ready for single phase, or 208 three phase. Greg

http://cgi.ebay.com/20-Swg-1-5HP-Spdl-Clausing-2277-DRILL-PRESS-Vari-Spee_W0QQitemZ200396058523QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2ea8892f9b
I've bought 4 in the past 5 years, they're top notch! The most I paid was $500 and it had power feed and was in great shape. Clausing sent me a book for $5 and all the parts are available. Here's a 2-head from my supplier for $850 and they will haggle. http://www.mckeanmachinery.com/inventory/product-detail.php?item=BR4403

itemZ200396058523QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2ea8892f9 b>
They are very good machines, but this one is vastly overpriced, as others have mentioned.
I almost bought one (for $600, a dollar a pound), but I am space limited, so I instead got a knee mill (Millrite MVI, about 2/3 the size of a Bridgeport), which makes a very good drill press as well.
Joe Gwinn

a 1.5hp drill press for light home use? Blink blink.....blink....
Well....they are good drill presses.
They are also very expensive to repair the Reeves drive if one is worn out or broken. $500 or more for the variable pulley IRRC. ( I generally let the customer buy those parts and I only charge to install em)
You might..might want to consider a decent pulley style drill press and if you feel the need..do as Iggy just did and put on a cheap VFD
Clausings tend to be a bit noisy as well, if they have a Reeves drive in them.
They ARE excellent machines if you buy one in decent condition. But I think Id buy a decent old Delta step pully first. And I have both.
Gunner

Mine was not even a cheap VFD. It cost me $199.

Well, I know it may be a bit over kill, but I can not find any decent step pulley drill presses for much less than these go for. Also I hate the quality, and rigidity of most of these lower priced drills. I figured if I need to spend $500-$1000 for porr China junk, I may as well buy a high quality machine. Right now my next best choice would be a new Delta, Jet, or Powermatic, less tool, for more money! Greg

Which city/state are you located in?
Gunner

Gosh Gunner,
I got a 5 hp. radial arm drill press for my light home use.
Karl
On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 18:33:27 -0600, "Karl Townsend"

Snicker..but you (and I) are not exactly the average "home shop machinists"
Ive got hummm...lets see...pair of Walker Turner 18" drill presses on a 3 drill press cast iron table..with a pair of Pratt & Whitney Sensitive .25" 208, 3ph drill presses between..and a 3/.4 hp Delta (with VFD) on the other end of the shop..and of course the Gorton MasterMill and a pair of Clausing drills out in the welding shop...
Shrug..but they are only used for light home use.......
Gunner

And what do you have for heavy use?

All my equipment is only for light home use. But some think my Mazak M4, 16,000 lb. machine 22" x 72" don't qualify. Nor my Matsuura bed mill 12,000 lb 96" table twin spindle.
Karl
Greg O wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/20-Swg-1-5HP-Spdl-Clausing-2277-DRILL-PRESS-Vari-Spee_W0QQitemZ200396058523QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2ea8892f9b

Yep That is one heavy duty drill press. We have one exactly like it at school. ...lew...

We have one at work with air over hydraulics controling the downfeed. The varidrive craps out every couple years but we use ours in a balancer drilling 5/8" diameter ballancing holes in cast iron pulleys on at least two shifts. I'd consider it severe duty.
For a typical shop application that drill press is bulletproof. Also, you can still get parts for it but they are a bit pricey.

Joe Autodrill recommended a Grizzly drill press back in May.
This ought to get you the thread. Or you can go to RCM on google groups and search on grizzly drill press joe
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.crafts.metalworking/browse_thread/thread/dde83b37815164fc/62821f142d12c77c?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=grizzly+drill+press+joe#62821f142d12c77c
Dan

I forgot to mention that the Grizzly drill press that Joe recommended costs $1250 and weighs 656 lbs.
Dan
I forgot to mention that the Grizzly drill press that Joe recommended costs $1250 and weighs 656 lbs.
Dan
I have looked at Grizzly, but I would rather spend less money on some old american iron, and get more machine! Greg