Good drill press at Home depot or some such?

I would like to buy a drill press. It will be used occasionally, but definitely needs to handle 1/2" drill bits. I would prefer to buy some model sold at Home Depot or Lowes or Menards. I could spend up to, say, $150. A table model would be better, as I do not have much space. Any specific models that are at least half decent?

Ignoramus4980

Most imports are basically the same now. For $150 you're going to get a smaller one. I'd prefer Delta's quality control, but I think HD is pushing Ryobi now.

Too bad you're not near here, I have a vintage restored Rockwell benchtop I'd sell for less than that.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

So...where would you be located?

Tom Dacon

Reply to
Tom Dacon

Eastern MA. We'll start the bidding at...

Actually have a whole bunch of vintage home shop machines I'm trying to sell off. Mostly woodworking.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

Actually, the Chicom drill presses are not bad for the genre. Most come with a "3/4" hp motor (who knows what they really are?) and either a 1/2" chuck or a 5/8" chuck.

For light duty they are decent enough. They all look the same, but all have different name plates on the front. I bought one in 1982 off the back of a pickup for $75 and its given me good service since then.

Chuckle..too bad you dont live close...Ive got about 6 of the bench top models from my recent score and Im getting $45 each for them. I already sold about 4..I aquired a big lot of them.

This is the standard generic version from harbor freight. I think they are all made in the same factory..the Red Dragon Noodle and Machine Tool Collective.

Btw...if you have a HF close by..ask the manager for a better price. You can get these for around $75 =125 at times, and often the manager will work with you.

Gunner

Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are so stupid it is easy work." Steven M. Barry

Reply to
Gunner

Home Depot sells a small Ryobi with a crank operated table (just like a floor standing model). Most other table top drills use a very cumbersome sliding clamp.

I would be surprised if you find a current model drill press of any size that isn't made in China.

In my opinion, Delta quality control is currently a joke.

Reply to
AL

Hit any Lowe's stores in your area (if you have any?) as soon as you can. They've been clearing out some Delta tools and have had this drill press on clearance:

You're probably too late but you may get lucky and find one. If I remember correctly the price was either $129 or $139 which is not that far off from the eBayer's price but his is reconditioned and his shipping ups it quite a bit.

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." - Will Rogers (1879-1935).

Reply to
Keith Marshall

Ignoramus, ask here: rec.woodworking

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

At 125 lbs, it does not seem to be very "shippable"...

Good idea! I actually do have a HF about 45 minutes away from home...

Ignoramus11685

Thanks, will try to go today...

Ignoramus11685

Reply to
waynemak

You're new here, so you probably don't appreciate what a pleasant bunch of correspondents operate here. We are generally too civil to respond to an honest and _on topic_ question with "Ignoramus". Thank you, Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

On 02 Oct 2004 03:55:02 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (GTO69RA4) calmly ranted:

Why the HELL do you have to live on the wrong coast? :( Got a list? I won't be flat broke forever.

P.S: You offer free overnight shipping with those, right?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Dang. Light-years away from my shop in western WA.

Oh well.

Tom Dacon

Reply to
Tom Dacon

Not really, the only thing in that catagory is I'm unloaded my cheap wood lathe I never use to make way for the Atlas 10x24. Just finished the stand. Most of this stuff is getting replaced by bigger WW machines.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

My guess would be around 1/4 hp at the most, if they are still using the type of garbage motors they had back in the 80's. The motor on my

1984 vintage Harbor Freight benchtop model would get so hot you couldn't touch it after about 15 minutes use, even on light duty work. Finally the smoke came out one day and the rotor locked up solid, due to the plastic fan melting and jamming it. I replaced it with an industrial rated GE 3/4 hp ball bearing motor and have had no further trouble with it. Mike
Reply to
MikeM

I just picked up a mint Walker-Turner benchtop at a yard sale for $60.

Reply to
ATP

You just scored a GLOAT!

Reply to
Stephen Young

I just saw this unit at my local Lowes for $199.00. Looks pretty good to me...

Stephen Young

Not much difference in the cheap drill presses. I have an el-cheapo that has had the crap beat out if it. It's been stalled a million times and fell off the bench at least once and it still works ok. Nothing great and not a lot of power but still drills.

Reply to
asdf