Which HF drill press? Or neither?

43389, $200 on sale <http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemidC389&CategoryName=&SubCategoryName=
16 speed, 1 HP, 17'' swing smaller round wet table.
39955, #340 on sale <http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid9955&CategoryName=&SubCategoryName= 12 speed, 1.5 HP, 20'' swing large rectangular wet table, somewhat larger base and column.
Both have oilers, built in light - in fact they seem to use some of the same parts.
Or, a distant third (only on HFusa site) <http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemidD846&CategoryName=&SubCategoryName= 5 speed, radial, Down side - only 1/3 HP, only a dry table Up side - very flexible, 34'' swing
Thanks for any thoughts.
-- W§ mostly in m.s - http://members.1stconnect.com/anozira

I bought that last one and returned it, a huge space waster and so on (it was also lacking parts, that's why I returned it, but I am glad that it was missing parts).
Practically speaking, I doubt that the difference between 1 HP and 1.5 HP would matter much.
43389 is pretty much the standard import drill press. Works well in the average hobbist environment. 39955 is the same design but has the bigger base (not as tippy), bigger table(I added a table about the same size to mine), slightly bigger motor (always nice), has the #3 MT rather than the standard #2, etc. The smaller one is serviceable, the bigger one is a bit nicer to use.
I have the equivilent of the smaller one, if I had it to do over, might spring for the bigger one just because of the bigger table.
Dump the idea of the 44846 radial if you do any metal working. Spindle speed is way to fast for metal, frame is not rigid enough for heavy use.
Winston Smith wrote:

<http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemidC389&CategoryName=&SubCategoryName=
<http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid9955&CategoryName=&SubCategoryName=
<http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemidD846&CategoryName=&SubCategoryName=
I have the 43389. I think it was on sale for $179 when I bought it. Anyway, I am a hobbiest user. I've narrowed down the speeds to using maybe 2 or 3 so the 12 speed vs 16 is not a big issue. Table bigger? I typically clamp my materials using a c clamp on the edge of the table. So table size is not an issue for me either. The down stroke of the spindle seems to be a big difference.. I've never had a problem with the 1hp...never been underpowered. However the chuck has slipped holding a 1/2" drill bit a few times. I can't seem to get the chuck tight enough. I like my unit would purchase again. HTH -Mike
Winston Smith wrote:

Winston Smith wrote:

Note the listed spindle stroke....all quite short with the longest being 4"
Personally, it's short spindle stroke on my old import that drives me the most crazy....change a bit and more than half the time you have to reset the table also to gain or lose a quarter inch. I recently saw one at a "tool crip of the north" that had a 6" stroke (can't remember brand). Of course it was something like $ 900 which puts it on the high end.
It might not be an issue with most, but stroke is something that is important to me. For example, only 1 of those listed could drill through a 4 x 4 in wood. ....I'd look a little further than harbor freight to see if you can do better for a few extra dollars.
Koz
Winston Smith wrote:

<http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemidC389&CategoryName=&SubCategoryName=
<http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid9955&CategoryName=&SubCategoryName=
FWIW, I have the benchtop version of the Grizzly drill press shown here. http://www.grizzly.com/products/G7944 I bought it because the lowest RPM setting of 140 allows me to use some of the bigger drill bits without spinning too quickly. Although it's a PITA to change speeds, it has worked well. I suspect that Grizzly sources their equipment from the same places that HF does, but the quality seems to be a little better.
Peter

Are there any not too expensive single phase geared drill presses? Changing speeds is indeed a huge hassle with belts. I usually drill everything at slow speeds, with large and small drill bits, just so that I do not change speeds too often.

39955 is a very nice drill press. Quite rigid, I tried pressing the quill down on a block of wood, it is far stiffer than my 17" Delta. The catalog lists the spindle travel incorrectly, it nearly 5" and that makes a big difference to me. The typical drill presses with 3 1/2 - 3 3/4" travel will drive you nuts with all the adjusting needed.
-- Dennis
I second this model. Craftsman sells the same model for more $. And I saw this same model reworked by Ellis manufacturing with a DC motor drive. http://www.ellissaw.com/Drill-Presses/43/drill-press-9400
I bought this same model about 15 years ago from HF. The only problem I had was the crank for raising and lowering the table, it's a knuckle skinner, as there is no clearance between the handle and the table which has semi sharp edges. Sears had the same drill press, and had the fix with a offset crank, which I bought from their parts department, fit perfect. Looks like HF has this same crank handle fix.
I put a 1 horse 3 phase motor and VFD (on special from dealers electric http://www.dealerselectric.com /). This made belt changes no longer needed. Just set at the mid range. The VFD is a Teco Westinghouse FM100. However today I would buy the vector drive, as low RPM has a sort of jerk rotation, and this is fixed with a vector drive. Did the same with the lathe.
DT wrote:

Winston Smith wrote:

I have an earlier (probably 1986 version) of this. I think mine is Taiwanese. Green. Actually my late Dad bought it and I ended up with it. Good machine, very little runout or shakes. Motor hasn't incinerated or anything. I'd miss it if it went away...
Ed Peterson