Clausing 2277 Drill press

We recently purchased a used Clausing 2277 for the shop, today half an hour to quitting time, it blew a couple fuses in the control box... Upon inspection, it looks like the bottom of the variable speed pulley is rubbing the top of the spindle pulley.

Is this a case where the operator just cranked it up to 'fast plus' and opened these pulleys too far, or is there supposed to be some sort of shim or stop in there to keep these from touching? I can try to walk it to a slower speed in the AM, without the motor running that will be fun... Upon inspection, the top cover looks a little 'home made' this thing may have been sold off for a reason...

Clausing doesn't seem to have downloadable manuals, we'll try to get one in the AM, but any informed ideas would be very welcome.

Hope the fuses are reasonably cheap.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Wheaton

I find it hard to believe that just running the variable speed to the limit would cause a problem. I would check the motor over, and make sure the fuses are the right size. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

was it wired and fused for higher voltage, and then rewired for lower voltage?

Ignoramus27711

Well, I doubt it, but I'll try to sort out the wiring and verify that it was set up for the 480 we're feeding it, sadly there's only one torn corner left from the schematic that was pasted to the inside of the control box. It ran pretty happily for 3 weeks or so, irregular use, not constant. I ran it for an hour or so last week with no troubles, but I was running on the low end of low speed.

I doubt that the two pulleys are supposed to rub on each other... the top flange of the spindle pulley is now very shiny and the whole thing was HOT. The two pulleys are counter-rotating, so the friction would load the motor pretty hard wouldn't it? What I really could use is a decent exploded view of the parts relating to the variable speed mechanism and the spindle pulley. I imagine there's a stop or bumper or something that has either broken, slipped out of place, or disappeared.

Thank you all, I do appreciate the help.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Wheaton

If you have the correct line voltage supplying the press, you should be able to operate the full range of speeds. Do you have the proper length belt in the pulleys? The belt length is directly related to spindle speed.

Also check the speed control linkage on the spindle pulley and the spring/pulley assy. on the motor side.

I have a 1662 15" model, but I'm sure the concept is the same.

Good luck.

Reply to
John L. Weatherly

Got the top off it this AM, the pulleys were definitely rubbing, without a manual or exploded view it took a little bit to figure out what had to move first, finally got down to the set screws on the lower half of the countershaft pulley, loosened them up, levered the pulley up away from the other, triple belt is now running true as well, tightened set screws, so far so good, fuses are on order, grainger will have them in the AM. Anybody know if there are supposed to be divots in the countershaft for those set screws? We couldn't find any, but the angle made it hard to see in. It seems like they ought to seat into something rather than just pressing against the shaft since the force on the variable speed pulleys is trying to shove that down.

We have whatever manual shipped with the machine on order.

The 440V 2 speed motor has only one voltage configuration, the fuses were right for full load draw.

Thanks for all the ideas.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Wheaton

Email me your address, and I can photocopy the exploded view page from my

15"'s manual.
Reply to
John L. Weatherly