castellated socket

I'm looking for a castellated socket 2" OD with 6 tangs, splines, whatever they are called. Google just runs me back and forth thru India, NSW and
other places. Anyone know of a source?
Stu

Only one I come up with is:
http://www.powerhousetool.com/socketcas.htm
Power House Tool, Inc. 626 Nicholson Street Joliet, IL 60435 Phone: (815) 727-6301 * Fax (815) 727-4835
Dave

Like a 4WD hub nut socket?

That'd be just a trip down to NAPA, etc., and would probably require a special deep socket.
As usual, I'm jonesing to know *what* the weird tool is gonna be used for.
Dave
It is not clear that it is the right diameter, another is a socket used in turbine maintenance. It sounds right with the 2" but it has a 1 1/2" drive. The turbine label will probably induce $$. I'm surprised that this is such a special item.
Stu

Is the safari the same in this respect?
http://www.acehelicopter.com/index.htm
Maybe they can suggest a tool source.
Dave

Yes the same bird and acehelicopter told me that they just machined one out of a socket. That is certainly an option but if there is one off the shelf, it saves my socket. Stu
Stuart & Kathryn Fields wrote:

Buy a harbor freight grade socket, or better yet, a decent one from a pawn shop, and have at it.
Cheers Trevor Jones

I used a new black impact 1/2" to 3/4" adapter of similar national origin on a Chevy S10 front axle nut last week and sheared it right off, just me pulling on a 20" breaker bar, no hammering or other normal abuse. I've made sockets like that for military ground equipment but there are no Jesus nuts on a radio.
Jim Wilkins

Is this the one that helicopter mechanics in Vietnam called the "Jesus nut"? You're a brave man, Stu. d8-)
-- Ed Huntress

Yep one and the same. Not brave, just stupid enough to try a bunch of things. Stu
On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 10:56:57 -0700, "Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote:

Voice of Reason here... Damn, Ed beat me to it.
If you are removing and replacing the Jesus Nut I would be a VERY leery of off-the-wall solutions, since for obvious reasons you do NOT want to put any side stress on that shaft, or damage the nut in any way during the process of removal and replacement.
Belt, suspenders, and safety pin your shirt to your pants - that sucker fails in flight you'd better have your will in order.
Unless you can track down the exact specs on how that socket needs to be made (all dimensions, materials, heat treat, plating, etc.) and duplicate it properly, this is the time to suck it up and find the proper socket wrench. Track down the actual manufacturer of said nut, if anyone knows a cheap(er) place to get the wrench they will.
One company makes the tool, but other suppliers will buy it and put their name on it - and double the price. Track down the OEM, and it won't be as bad.
The aircraft industry often figures out how /not/ to do something after a fatal crash or two - like how /not/ to remove and replace DC-10 engines with a forklift instead of the proper cradle and hoist. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Airlines_Flight_191
And you don't want to be the one that finds out how /not/ to do this.
--<< Bruce >>--
On Jun 4, 1:35pm, Bruce L. Bergman

Look at the bright side. Bailing out will be a lot safer without the main rotor.
On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 13:43:08 -0700 (PDT), Jim Wilkins

Indeed.....
Gunner, pondering old memories
Jim Wilkins wrote:

I doubt you'll ever see a helicopter pilot with a parachute. So "bailing oiy" is probably going to hurt.
Richard
--
(remove the X to email)

Now just why the HELL do I have to press 1 for English?
cavelamb himself wrote:

The Ka-50 has an ejection seat, but they pop the blades first.
http://www.aeronautics.ru/archive/vvs/ka50-01.htm
Kevin Gallimore
cavelamb himself wrote:

ut
I see you were so shook up by that it efected your fingers. :-) ...lew...
Lew Hartswick wrote:

True, it has been a while. And true, just thinking about it makes my hands shake again.
Didn't you know that's how you can spot helicopter people? By the shaky hands?
Richard
--
(remove the X to email)

Now just why the HELL do I have to press 1 for English?
On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 22:37:01 -0500, cavelamb himself

And you can spot guys who have flown into combat in helos...they often tend to sit on their hats...or a phone book.....

I retired from those things at 19 with nearly 1200 hours total and about 600 of that combat assault.
Stuart's Baby Belle is probably as safe as a helicopter gets.
If he ever offered me a chance to fly it, I'd be tempted. I can't say I'd accept (no offense, Stuart!), but I'd be tempted.
That would break my 39 year sanity check.
(9 from 8, borrow one, wow! 39 years - who'da thunk it!?)