Spindle Spline Socket

I'm working on a project that would greatly benefit from a spindle spline socket. I can make one, but I've learned my lesson about just making something because I can. I only do that now if I can't wait for the part or tool. My time is better spent making custom parts instead. Anyway, I would like to find a socket with the same spline pattern as the 28mm end of this wrench.

I figure there is no point spending time modeling and making one if it already exists for a reasonable price somewhere.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

What are the odds that there is a matching spline either in the back end of some auto transmissions (e.g. there was such a spline in the back of a BMW-2002's transmission to connect it to the drive shaft. Other possibilities would be autos with independent rear suspension, and a spline in the half-shafts between the constant velocity universals to allow adjustment (if the axles are not swing axles).

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

That spline (on the spindle of a drill press or mill) engages the drive pulley. So, can you buy a drive pulley and use its hub for your socket? Should be easy to rivet or braze a handle to it.

Reply to
whit3rd

That's a good easy to find off the shelf solution. If I recall the belt drive I will be installing on the ZX45 comes with its spindle drive pulley. If so I'll have a spare soon too. Not sure how practical it will be in the space I want to put it in, but its certainly worth a look.

Reply to
Bob La Londe