When will we get a 1/35 Jumbo?

    I am looking forward to the Tamiya BT-7, and I suppose, the Dragon M-7 Priest, but really, I'd like a good Jumbo
kit. Cookie, have you been putting the bug in DML's ear?
                            Bruce
"I like bad!" Bruce Burden Austin, TX.
Bruce Burden wrote:

1/35th Jumbo? That's an odd scale for a commercial aircraft.
(Sorry, I just had to - I know (sort-of) what a Jumbo is in this context...)
RobG (the Aussie one)
On Sat, 22 May 2010 17:21:41 +1000, RobG wrote:

Not such an odd thought, I think elephants were used by Allied forces in SE Asia during WW2.
mh

Then I vote for a 1/35 Dumbo
Bruce,
Occasionally Freddie takes my comments into consideration and acts on them, but the most part DML is driven by their ASIAN market and not the AMERICAN one.
As an example a lot of my HO scale modeling friends have asked for pre- assembled and pre-painted HO armor but Freddie claims there is no market for it as well as having their 1/72, 1/35 and 1/6 scale lines running already. I think he is missing out on that one but their marketing is what they use for guidance.
One would think with all of the other Shermans they produce a Jumbo would be a natural, but as of now you'd have to get one of Freddie's kits and Rob Ervin's conversion.
Cookie Sewell
I suspect that Dragon is spreading out its "hot" products amid less interesting but still viable subjects as a marketing strategy. An M4A3E2 Jumbo Sherman would undoubtedly be a hugely popular product, but we will get a host of lesser Sherman variants first (look how long it took to get a plain, vanilla, mid-production M4 (now offered as the "Normandy" Sherman) or an earlier, direct vision M4 version. Instead, we got the USMC/Lend Lease M4A2 kits (and the partially upgraded M4A4 kits) followed by the direct vision "El Alamein" M4A1 kit. And we're still waiting for a mid production M4A1 using updated tooling. And they could release a 1944 vintage M4A3 75(W) anytime, as they already have cut all the molds for previous kits--they just have to print a new box (German fans are in the same boat--Dragon could offer a 1943- production Tiger any time they want to, but have elected to wait for now). But it's also a matter of how many Shermans the market can absorb at once. If DML offered every Sherman type simultaneously, it's doubtful that most dealers would want to stock that many seemingly similar kits. Let's face it, many customers just want "a Sherman," and too many choices can actually intimidate them ("excuse me, sir, which of these kits is the best?"). I suspect the only thing that would cause Mr. Leung to suddenly offer a Jumbo now would be word that Tasca (or less probably, Academy) was about to offer one. Gerald Owens On May 21, 11:45pm, snipped-for-privacy@realtime.net (Bruce Burden) wrote:

: I suspect that Dragon is spreading out its "hot" products amid less : interesting but still viable subjects as a marketing strategy. :     Hopefully they learned a lesson when they were running their "251 of the month" club a few years ago. Did we really need a new varient of the 251 every 3 - 4 weeks? : : An : M4A3E2 Jumbo Sherman would undoubtedly be a hugely popular product, :     What conversion are you referring to, Cookie? : : but we will get a host of lesser Sherman variants first (look how long : it took to get a plain, vanilla, mid-production M4 :     Given how long it took Tamiya to get off their backsides and offer a Panther D/A to go with their Panther G, (oh, wait, they are STILL on their backsides...) I am not holding out much hope of seeing a 1/35 Tamiya Maultier. : : new box (German fans are in the same boat--Dragon could offer a 1943- : production Tiger any time they want to, but have elected to wait for : now). :     Perhaps that is because Wittman didn't use one? :-/ Why don't we have Wittmans' first StuG? Last StuG? : : i I suspect the only thing that would cause : Mr. Leung to suddenly offer a Jumbo now would be word that Tasca (or : less probably, Academy) was about to offer one. :     I'd be happy to hear Tasca offering a Jumbo. :-)
    Of course, you could add whipped cream by then offering the rest of the Sherman family - the M4A5 and M4A6. And, to add the cherry, a Horstmann suspension conversion would do it.
Bruce
"I like bad!" Bruce Burden Austin, TX.
Bruce,
Rob Ervin from "Formations" had one a few years back at AMPS -- not sure if he still produces it or not.
Cookie Sewell