Any aftermarket T-34-85 1943 turret available in 1/35?

Guys-

I just saw the Maquette T-34-85 1943 kit at my local Hobbytown USA, and since it costs right at twice what their T-34-76 & -57 kits, I assume it includes a resin turret to account for the difference.

_But_, as I am awash in DML & Zvezda T-34-85 kits at present, and since both of those kits are arguably better proportioned than the Maquettes, I'm a-lookin' for something like the 1943 85mm turret MB Models used to produce back in the dark ages. In pix they looked decent, but any opinions will be welcome.

I imagine I could convert one, but I'd rather find a nice one to buy....

Thanks!

-Lance

Reply to
Lance Bernard

The MB stuff is nice, and well thought out.

I have the KV 85 conversion, and the T 34 1940 set. {KhPh production}

The T 34 1940 set includes a new upper hull new engine rear cover plate, transmission access cover, new turret, hatch, and metal idler wheels, and a nice gun mantlet. A few resin wooden storage crates completes it. The resin upper hull is well detailed and fit's the Tamiya hull well. Same with the turret. The KV 85 kit is almost identical in parts breakdown.

The quality of the resin molding is superb !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Azzz1588

AFAIK not really at the moment. The old MB kits were specifically designed to fix problems with the obsolete Tamiya kits and as such are not based on the new moldings.

I have not seen the Maquette kit but I did have some of their resin, and must say it is dicey stuff (some good, some awful like their D-1 "conversion" for the Zvezda M-30 kit.)

Your call.

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

Well, I'm gonna build my T 34 140 with the MB set.

Georgous casting (s) and with some Fruli metal tracks, it will be a hefty T 34. My upper hull fits perfectly with the old Tamiya (SU 100 here) hull, just need to fill in the motorization holes, and add some suspension parts.

Maybe someday I'll try the new Dragon t 34 1940...........

Azzz1588

Reply to
Allan Mayer

Cookie-

Thanks for the straight scoop! Guess I'll put my sad old Tamiya T-34-85 turret under the knife and produce my own 1943 turret. As I remember, it's a little short in the bustle compared to the better ones on the market, and the roof shape will need some associated work, but it'll probably make an adequate starting point.

Incidentally, I've been working on Maquette's turret-only kit of the late 1945-1946 composite turret. Basic shape & look are excellent, and it fits right onto the Zvezda turret ring right out of the box. Downside is that the parts fit is pretty awful with respect to the turret's main castings, and the main gun components & mantlet aren't much better, though the look of the components is very good. A lot of careful fitting & jiggling will be necessary. An aftermarket aluminum

85mm gun barrel is a really good idea, though fitting it into the kit's mantlet may be a challenge.

Good news is, given the _enormously_ rough casting and extremely variable fit of the castings on the original composite turret T-34-85's, I think I can generate a very handsome result with some putty work. This time the coarseness of the Russian originals works in favor of fixing some rough fits....

-Lance

Reply to
Lance Bernard

I am not really a tank guy but I think you might want to check this site listed below. They've got some t34 turret conversion set. I hope it is of any help to you;

Darius

Reply to
Darius

What about the turret in the Jaguar T34/85 interior set??

Scott

Reply to
Scott A. Bregi AKA The Model Hobbit

Scott,

I have it and it is an upgraded version of the DML one. Think it goes with their front and rear interior sets.

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne