Re: T-34/76 Question for Cookie

Um, not sure why you want to do this.
Steve Zaloga and I looked at four different T-34 kits about six or
seven years ago in the AMPS BORESIGHT. The winners were in order DML,
Zvezda, Maquette/RPM, and last Tamiya. The Tamiya kits are over 30
years old and weren't very good to start with, but have remained
popular as they are easy to assemble.
If you want to build a good T-34 76mm Model 1942 (hex turret) the best
way to go right now is a DML T-34 Model 1941 with a Zvezda T-34 Model
1942 turret.
You can't realistically convert a Tamiya T-34-85 to a T-34 76mm Model
1942.
Cookie Sewell
Reply to
AMPSOne
cookie, i fon't think you saw my question about which is the best king tiger.my nephew wants to know. thanks. 1/35
Reply to
someone
I sent you a direct reply, kinda figures it didn't work!
If he wants easy to build, go Tamiya. If he wants accurate, go with either of the new DML ones with zimmerit molded in place.
Cookie Sewell
Reply to
AMPSOne
i'll send you an email to make usre you have a good address for me, ok? what is the best with no zimmerit?
Reply to
someone
It's sort of like trying to turn a model of a 1955 Chevy into a 1957 Chevy. They look SORT OF alike but there are so many detail difference and size differences it's just not worth the effort.
Oddly enough Factory No. 183 DID try to do just that in 1943 -- they created a "universal" T-34 turret for three crew members that could mount either the 76mm F-34 gun or the then new 85mm D-5T gun. They eventually decided with all of the German upgrades the tank should just mount the 85mm one and dropped the 76mm mount. This is the same turret which became the first 85mm one for the D-5T gun.
Cookie Sewell
Reply to
AMPSOne
Best King Tiger without Zimmerit is eiter Dragon Henschel or Porsche version (though you must add Zimmerit to the latter, as all Porsche versions were issued with the coating). Henschel tanks built after September, 1944, did not have Zimmerit. Dragon's kit has individual link tracks, which may be stressful for a novice. The Tamiya kit has soft plastic glueable band tracks, and is a faster build. Tamiya's KT would require afternarket photoetch mesh for the engine vents (sold separately by Tamiya, as well as Aber and Eduard). Gerald Owens
Reply to
Gerald Owens

Site Timeline