1/35 Sherman M4 kit question??

Hi Gang, I am going to do a WWII Pacific War diorama. What M4 Sherman do you guys recomend? I'm not sure if I want to due early or late war period. Thanks in advance. JJ

Reply to
treadhead

DML makes two suitable kits -- the new M4 Composite hull and the M4A2 DV kit (both flagged as PTO). The former is exclusively Army and the latter exclusively Marine Corps.

You may want to get Steve Zaloga's book on Pacific Tank Battles or Dave Harper's one on Marine Corps tanks at Iwo Jima for reference.

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

M4A2 DV kit? That's the new British North Africa Sherman kit with direct vision ports that was just announced last week, isn't it? The early M4A2 with the welded drivers' hoods is the version for most USMC campaigns. It was first boxed by Dragon as the "Tarawa" kit, and rereleased with some nice detail improvements and corrections, as the British invasion of Sicily kit. If I were buying today, I'd pick up the Sicily kit and use aftermarket decals for a Marine version. For some late USMC campaigns, Dragon offered an M4A2 boxed as a "PTO" (Pacific Theater of Operations) tank with the late style hull and turret. It would be good for some of the tanks seen on Peleliu or Saipan, though the early tanks were also seen in those operations. I suppose Dragon's very late M4A3 with the 105 mm howitzer turret and HVSS suspension could be used for a tank on Okinawa. The Tasca mid production M4A1 would be useful for some US Army Pacific campaign Shermans, and, as you mentioned, the brand new Dragon composite hull M4 would be great for the late war Army campaigns, including the Philippines. Gerald Owens

Reply to
lafimprov

Gerald,

Right again. Thanks for the correction on the M4A2.

Too many Shermans, too little time!

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne