MT3 extension socket

Greetings:

I'm looking for a MT3 to MT3 extension socket with threaded hole for drawbar, similar to that sold by McMaster-Carr catalog page 2267 but without a tang. Anyone know where I can find one? I checked KBC too... no joy. I suppose if these two don't handle one it's probably a make-it-myself proposition.

Regards, Jim Brown

Reply to
Jim Brown

This may be what you are looking for...

Jim Kovar

Greetings:

That's it! Thanks.

Regards, Jim Brown

Reply to
Jim Brown

What do you need to do? I've never seen one like that.

I suspect the male taper is soft, so if you can think of how to hold it, you might be able to drill it and tap it for a drawbar. I was thinking about that workholding problem once, and came up with the idea of using an Aloris #3MT toolholder and assuming the axis of its tapered hole is parallel to the sides (note I said Aloris, not Cheapistan) and using a soft clamp to hold the part in the taper and then clamping it to a big angle bracket.

Grant Erw> Greetings:

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Greetings:

I'm building a CNC mill around a large Versa-Mil that has #3MT spindles. I want to extend the Y axis. This will involve mounting the angle milling head away from the body of the Versa-Mil to which it's normally bolted. The extension will be used as a driveshaft between the Versa-Mil body and the milling head, enclosed within a cylindrical extension bolted between the two parts. I have the Versa-Mil, acquired for not a whole lot of money brand new in the bubble wrap, and several large (0.5 meter) two inch thick angle plates, nicely ground on all surfaces, which I will use for a base and table pieces.

At this point I'm deciding what the dead load of the xy mechanism will be... add 100 lbs live load and I'll know roughly what size linear slides to use, if practical. If not, I'll make a dovetail slide arrangement or 'box ways' if I can find some info on the topic.

All of this originated, by the way, from my desire to make a milling vise for my shaper. Initially working with the shaper, then wanting to use a side mill to remove some metal, I began to combine the Versa-Mil (normally residing on my 16" Southbend lathe) with a cheap coordinate table that I use with my drill press. Not satisfied with the table, I let 'project creep' get the best of me, and am now building a small but heavy-duty CNC mill. I'm not sure if CNC hobby is like sailing, where one pursues the activity for the pleasure of doing it rather than the destination. Perhaps more than the machine, the computer work appeals to CNC home machinists. In my case, I'm less enamored of the computer and more interested in the machine elements.

Regards, Jim Brown

Reply to
Jim Brown