castellated socket

Steve: Both Autozone and Napa had castellated sockets (axle nut sockets) but none of them were the 2" size that I need. It is looking more and more like a cheap socket and my mill.

Stu

Reply to
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Look at the bright side. Bailing out will be a lot safer without the main rotor.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Indeed.....

Gunner, pondering old memories

Reply to
Gunner

I doubt you'll ever see a helicopter pilot with a parachute. So "bailing oiy" is probably going to hurt.

Richard

Reply to
cavelamb himself

The Ka-50 has an ejection seat, but they pop the blades first.

Kevin Gallimore

axolotl

I've made up my mind that if I die, someone else can worry about the leavings.

I've been all over the internet and the socket I'm looking for is similar to axle sockets. However none that I've seen are the right size. The Safari Kit manufacturer suggested that I make one out of a 2" OD socket. That is what they did. However, the prices on some of the sockets ranged from $82 for a Snap-On socket for a Dana 70 axle to $330 for one used on aircraft Turbines. Both, however were too large for my application. Tool maker I guess I am.

Stu

Reply to
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

ut

I see you were so shook up by that it efected your fingers. :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

True, it has been a while. And true, just thinking about it makes my hands shake again.

Didn't you know that's how you can spot helicopter people? By the shaky hands?

Richard

Reply to
cavelamb himself

And you can spot guys who have flown into combat in helos...they often tend to sit on their hats...or a phone book.....

Reply to
Gunner

I retired from those things at 19 with nearly 1200 hours total and about 600 of that combat assault.

Stuart's Baby Belle is probably as safe as a helicopter gets.

If he ever offered me a chance to fly it, I'd be tempted. I can't say I'd accept (no offense, Stuart!), but I'd be tempted.

That would break my 39 year sanity check.

(9 from 8, borrow one, wow! 39 years - who'da thunk it!?)

Reply to
cavelamb himself

I lost the urge to ride in a helicopter while working at Carin airfield, where the US Army trained helicopter pilots. Watching a bunch of the student pilots taking off at the same time, from the control tower was enough to convince me they were all insane.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Go ahead and do it, it's not a measure of insanity, but of inner strength - Flying is a rather safe and fun pastime when they aren't shooting SAM's and AAA at you...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I was never shot at by AA and SANMS. Small arms and RPGs did a fin enough job.

I Dunno, Bruce. I just can't seem to relax in a helicopter without my M-60 security blanket... :)

Richard

Reply to
cavelamb himself

There are ejection seats on some.

Just one more thing to make a bad day worse, when the sequencer fails to fire the explosive bolts that hold the blades on the head.

Never doubt. Someone, somewhere, has thought about just about everything!

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones