Pictures -- VFD installed on the DP

Now it is fully operational. I also installed a reversing switch, which I like better than the original control. Everything seems to work.

Ignoramus30818

Very nicely done!

So how do you like it?

Gunner

Gunner Asch

I love it, so far it seems to be very convenient to use. I have only tried a 7/8" drill for now. It works, although I have managed to stall it with a 7/8" drill bit. 130-2000 RPM seems like a good speed range also. I am also very glad that I installed a 115V VFD.

Ignoramus30818

She's a beaut, Iggy!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Its is entirely possible to stall a 7/8ths bit...but it does raise some concerns. How did it happen? A 1hp motor really shouldnt stall out on only a 7/8ths in bit. Unless you f*ck up of course.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

And she was rather dirty when I picked'er up... Took a lot of oven cleaner and paper towels...

Ignoramus30818

I was pushing it down rather hard...

Ignoramus30818

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 20:09:00 -0600, the infamous Ignoramus30818 scrawled the following:

Yeah, what he said.

Um, the 3' extension pipe was too much, Ig.

P.S: Go sharpen that bit. ;)

-- When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. -- Thomas Paine

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Hard as in "cheater pipe on the spokes" or applying body weight on the spokes?

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Applying body weight on spokes.

Ignoramus30818

What was the ouput frequency of the drive when you stalled the motor? If you have a simple open-loop V/Hz drive the motor torque will drop off at low speeds.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

It was 60 Hz.

Ignoramus30818

Are you still a fat ass, or are you skinny now?

You did good.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

My normal, preferred grip is to grab the top spoke and rest my elbow against the lower front one. I find that this gives much better control (and much higher torque when needed). Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Are you sure you stalled the motor, or could the belt have been slipping? My band saw will slip the belt at the speed adjustment extremes if you really lean on it. I suspect the belt is touching the ID of the adjustable pulley when it's wide open, which interferes with the contact pressure between the flanges and the side of the belt.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

I am fairly positive that the belt slipped and the motor was not stalled. I still heard the motor run.

In fact, there is one more thing that I do not like, which is that the drive is creaky. It is not that bad, but if I can do something to improve it, I would.

Possibly. I have never opened the drill press head on this DP.

Ignoramus30118

Belt dressing may help.

AutoZone sells several kinds.

This is probably one of the best..and as far as I know..usually found at NAPA auto stores

There are two kinds of "belt dressing"

One is primarily a lubricant..the other is a dressing (conditioner) and adhesive..

You DONT want a lubricant on your drill press belts. Its primarily used for serpentine belts to keep them from squeeking.

You want something to make them sticky.

Btw..the best long term thing..is frankly..a new belt. Shrug..but proper belt dressing will last a long time if applied occasionally

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Maybe I should get a new belt. I heard bad things about belt dressings. While at it, I will also replace the spindle bearings and will clean up the drive.

Ignoramus30118

Thats pretty much up to you. Im not there to diagnose your machine.

Frankly however..if I were wishing to drill holes to +/- .005...Id use the mill instead of a drill press for the most part.

Its up to you if you want or actually need to spend the money on belts and bearings.

Shrug

Gunner

Gunner Asch