Cleaning chain

Where I work we supply civil engineering stocks and some relevant equipment. My manager has managed to sell a coil carrier dsigned for carrying huge plastic coils that you find gas and water companies use in England. This peice of equipment goes on a forklift. The problem is it has been sitting in our yard for months and the weather has got to it. We tested everything to three times it's designed limit and the rust doesn't seem to have affected the perfomance but we can't send out rusty goods. I can clean the rust of the plate metal but the same method won't work for the chains. How can rust be cleaned off load bearing chain links without causing any structral damage?

Gadget

Reply to
Gadgetfreaky2k

Try

they make stuff that works well.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

throw the chains in a cement mixer & add some broken glass

Reply to
Wwj2110

Chain can be tumbled clean of surface rust. However, if this is roller chain that won't work. It would never come clean of the grit inside the rollers.

If you are absolutely up against it then you can do a light acid soak followed by a hot water dip - the hot water must be hot enough so that the chain self- dries within 60 seconds. Then you can spray on oil. Some people believe you should put tool steels in a 400 degree oven for 1-2 hours to facilitate the hydrogen ions dissipating throughout the entire crystal lattice rather than staying in concentration near the surface where they could cause hydrogen embrittlement. This subject is completely over my head, but I know of it so that's why I'm mentioning it.

Grant Erw> Where I work we supply civil engineering stocks and some relevant equipment. My

Reply to
Grant Erwin