cleaning copper and brass

i got alot of brass, candle stick holder, trays, boxes and copper stuff also, some big items like brass buckets and outdoor stuff.. not really thick metal, mostly sheet copper for the ornamental bucket... its pretty easy doing the small stuff with Brass-O, but the bigger stuff takes too long.. i was looking for a dip and wipe off solution or somthing similar... the stuff with a clear coat to protect the metal from tarnish is what normally takes so long.... any suggestions???? thanks for a reply.....

Reply to
dbird

Well, it's not a dip-and-wipe, but I've had good results using wadding polishes like "Nevr-Dull". Don't know if that'd be any faster than Brass-O, though. --Glenn Lyford

Reply to
Glenn Lyford

--Go to a plumbing supply shop and look for some stuff called "Copper Brite". Must be illegal in Calif now as I've not seen it in years, but it does a first rate job.

Reply to
steamer

thanks for the reply..

Reply to
dbird

thanks for the reply

Reply to
dbird

I *love* simichrome (timesavers.com has it, also watch ebay). No nasty, corrosive residue like Brasso, works fast, no harsh abrasives.

Met-All is a close second / mark

snipped-for-privacy@sprynet.com wrote:

Reply to
Mark

while in the sevice the one good thing I leaned in the mess was to clean copper (pipes) and brass. We used common ketchup and white vinegar..I tried it here on sheet copper and it works getting off the dark stuff but leaves a dull finish thereby requireing brushing which might be more cost effective for you... Brass is best cleaned, (IMHO) by soaking in common vinegar and then brushed.. Course back then (60s) we were still coating almost everything with "red lead" an inch thick... back out to lurk...

granpaw

Reply to
granpaw

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 18:16:01 -0700, Mark calmly ranted:

Simichrome is good stuff. All my old biking buddies used it before and after motocrosses. (I was the guy with the truck. :( )

$3.79 for a tube of simichrome.

affiliation)

--- Chaos, panic, and disorder--my work here is done.

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

When I get in big brass or bronze air horns that have either heavy dark brown copper oxide all over (actually a mix of red and black oxides) or green/blue patina, I go straight for the acid dip before I try any hand polishing. I personally use hot (140 F), saturated sodium bisulfate solution that has hydrogen peroxide added. Sodium bisulfate is the only ingredient of Sparex #2 Safety Pickle, but I buy it in bulk as hth's swimming pool "pH Minus" (available at pool supply stores, walmart, etc). This is less nasty to work with than straight sulfuric or hydrochloric acid, but more aggresive than vinegar or citric acid.

I add about 1/2 cup of 30% peroxide to each gallon of solution, also bought from the pool supply place (or beauty supply store--it's used as hair bleach also). I don't know the exact chemistry of it, but the peroxide prevents "pickle plate", undesirable copper plating of the brass or bronze items which would require mechanical removal.

-Adam

Reply to
Adam