Coating for polished brass

Anyone know what material is used to coat polished brass (to prevent tarnishing) such as bathroom fixtures? I appears to be much tougher than clear lacquer. Polyurethane, maybe? Any info will be appreciated.

Gary

Reply to
gk

I once worked on an epoxy solid resin for a clear powder coat. That was for high end stuff like Moen, Kohler.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Chromium plate :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Thanks, Pete, I'll look into that area. If available, that type of coating should be nearly indestructible.

Gary

Pete Keillor wrote:

Reply to
gk

Nowdays these are often high-tech physical vapor deposition coatings (PVD) See:

anorton

Hahahaa! The only coating that lasts.

Reply to
Beryl

There is a special lacquer for this purpose. I've used it on my front door handle and it's lasted for 3 years so far. I can't couch for how long it will last in a bathroom though.

(watch the line wrap) Art

Reply to
Artemus

(watch the line wrap)

That should have been "vouch" not couch. Art

Reply to
Artemus

Older items, clear lacquer, Newer stuff: clear powder coat. Have a few options there.

Reply to
Steve W.

(watch the line wrap)

Reply to
gk

----- Original Message ----- From: "gk" Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking Sent: 15 February, 2010 7:22 PM Subject: Re: Coating for polished brass

I soaked the parts in lacquer thinner and removed the old finish with steel wool then buffed on a cloth wheel. It didn't need much buffing as it was already pretty much polished and just needed a touch up where the steel wool had scratched it. Another cleaning with lacquer thinner to remove the buffing compound and wax and it was ready for the new finish coat. Art

Reply to
Artemus