Coating for polished brass

Anyone know what material is used to coat polished brass (to prevent
tarnishing) such as bathroom fixtures? I appears to be much tougher than
clear lacquer. Polyurethane, maybe? Any info will be appreciated.
Gary
Reply to
gk
I once worked on an epoxy solid resin for a clear powder coat. That was for high end stuff like Moen, Kohler.
Pete Keillor
Reply to
Pete Keillor
Chromium plate :-)
Mark Rand RTFM
Reply to
Mark Rand
Thanks, Pete, I'll look into that area. If available, that type of coating should be nearly indestructible.
Gary
Pete Keillor wrote:
Reply to
gk
Nowdays these are often high-tech physical vapor deposition coatings (PVD) See:

anorton
Hahahaa! The only coating that lasts.
Reply to
Beryl
There is a special lacquer for this purpose. I've used it on my front door handle and it's lasted for 3 years so far. I can't couch for how long it will last in a bathroom though.
(watch the line wrap) Art
Reply to
Artemus
(watch the line wrap)
That should have been "vouch" not couch. Art
Reply to
Artemus
Older items, clear lacquer, Newer stuff: clear powder coat. Have a few options there.
Reply to
Steve W.
Would you reveal what method you used for polishing and how you cleaned the polished surface before coating? Thanks and the Mowhawk product looks worth testing.
Artemus wrote:
(watch the line wrap)
Reply to
gk
----- Original Message ----- From: "gk" Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking Sent: 15 February, 2010 7:22 PM Subject: Re: Coating for polished brass
I soaked the parts in lacquer thinner and removed the old finish with steel wool then buffed on a cloth wheel. It didn't need much buffing as it was already pretty much polished and just needed a touch up where the steel wool had scratched it. Another cleaning with lacquer thinner to remove the buffing compound and wax and it was ready for the new finish coat. Art
Reply to
Artemus
Thanks Art, that was the info I was looking for. I was trying to complicate the cleaning process :) Gary
Artemus wrote:
Reply to
gk