coating raw brass for gluing to plastic ?

Hi, Now whilst current etch-brass is coated as its been found to be better for gluing if coated, if you do your own etch-brass, as I sometimes do, getting
it to stick to plastic is ok if its not under any stress. Test pieces given slight fingernail tweaking come right off, glue on plastic and nothing on the brass, brass doesnt take glue well. I have to get brass to take to an S shaped curve and so will be heating it up and letting it cool naturally, that removes the springiness, however seeing how the brass comes off unless coated, I would be happier to know its on and for good. Has anyone found the best way of coating raw brass ?...does cellulose primer allowed to dry thoroughly (can this be accelerated with heat successfully) then evostick, or thixofix (latter now made by Alpha, previously made by Dunlop) do the job ? Is it ok to use acrylic primer ? I shall go and experiment I guess. If one wanted to electrically coat the brass as is done to the etch brass, how is that best done in a domestic situation ? Steve
When I've used PE of questionable origin/quality,I take the lazy way out with a coat of future to seal it in place,after painting it the appropriate color (in acrylic).

Make sure it is scrupulously clean. Sanding it with fine sandpaper helps on larger pieces. I usually paint my PE before I put it on model, and always prime it first. I have had no problem with either the painted or unpainted PEsticking to model, but very few pieces are unpainted. I use Krylon primer on everything, even brass.
When I do larger brass stuff like hinges, LG stuff, etc, that is when I do carefully clean and sand, because the bigger pieces do sometimes have an adhesion problem. If you are doing any soldering on the brass, make sure you carefully clean away any flux.
Steve wrote:

Two things that work really well -
1. use CA and apply between the brass and non-painted plastic. 2. use watch crystal cement for areas that require a bit more working time, and have flat contact areas.
I never bother with coatings, priming, or washing of parts and I never have anything pull up as long as I do these.
--
- Rufus

on 12/9/2007 2:33 PM Rufus said the following:

Where do you get watch crystal cement?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Never mind. I found it at Micro-Mark http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action talog&Type=Product&ID343
http://tinyurl.com/7rzyr
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action talog&Type=Product&ID343

Yup!
--
- Rufus

If you have a Hobby Lobby close, they have the watch crystal cement in the jewelry making area or with the beads. With the 40% off coupon, you can get it for about 2 dollars.
on 12/9/2007 4:16 PM Count DeMoney said the following:

No Hobby Lobbys in the NE US.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

I get watch crystal cement from Micro Mark -
http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action talog&Type=Product&ID343
I've been using the same two tubes (one yet to be opened) for years now, so the stuff is dirt cheap.
I also like to use the black CA meant for gluing tires - it's thick, presumably more flexible than regular CA, provides a bit more working time, and is easier to see against both the plastic and brass.
--
- Rufus