Collet Identification

I've picked up a set of nice collets (good price, free) and would like to know where they came from, and if there is a site with a good dimensioned drawing. I guess I really don't need the information, I'm going to build a Pond style holder for my Logan lathe, but it'd be nice to know. Only identification on them is S-B #2

they look a bit like an R8

Any hints or linkes?

Reply to
Grif

For the unintiated, what is a Pond style holder?

Thanks,

Chuck P.

Reply to
MOP CAP

IIRC the Machinery Handbook has all the common specs for collets. It might help with the identification if you could give some dimensions of the collets you have.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Duh,,, I didn't even think of my Machinery Handbook!!! I'll let you know.

And the question about the Pond collet head, Metal Lathe Associates has a casting kit for one, it has a captive nut to tighten the collet.

Somewhere in one of the metal news groups in Yahoo is a copy of the original article by John Pond, I think is the guys name. Called it a Loop design or something like that.

Reply to
Grif

Tom Martin has an excellent list in his reference pages.

I am still looking for data on "2E" collets, similar to a shrunk R8, that fit my Eklind mill. If you measure yours, I can see if it is listed in my old books.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

Nothing in the Machinery HB,,, however, shopswarf came really close. as a South Bend 2A.

Body diameter was right on at 0.860 Major diameter of threads was measured at 0.857 Looks like 20 tpi, I went about blind trying to count without my glasses. ;-) Overall length to end of taper, like the example on shopswarf 3.325 or so Overall length 3.35

Looking a bit harder, and under some grime. the one in my hand looks like R-S-B with an arrow thru all three letters, (at 12 o'clock) and a number 2 at 6 o'clock. These markings are on the end.

I'll go clean up some other ones and see what else I got wrong. So much for my memory and description.

Reply to
Grif

Hit E-Bay looking for 2A collets,,, rivett produced the 2A as well,,, was the Rivett brand name usually done with an arrow of some kind? I'm wondering if I've got two brands out in the mess,,, (I mean shop) I'll check

Reply to
Grif

South Bend #2A's perhaps?

Should have an overall length of 3.313"

Thread is 0.850" X 20 RH

Body diameter is 0.860"

Max capacity is 11/16"

Looks like a smaller version of an R8.

Reply to
George

I'm sure its a 2A. I think I'll buy one in some common size hex just to check.

Don't know where I came up with the Pond description of the Pat Loop design collet holder.

Reply to
Grif