Armour - Sheet Metal Suggestions

Hi all,

I'm a planning to construct a miniature suit of plate armour, and wanted to get suggestions on the best gauge of sheet metal for this project.

Since it's a miniature, I won't need the standard 16-gauge used for armour-making -- rather, something about as thick as cardboard, or a little thicker than the sheet used in tin cans.

Thanks in advance!

- z

Reply to
zampano

Yeah, that sounds about right. (?!?!?!)

There's probably a model-making group or something that would have better info, but I'd say 22-ga would be a reasonable place to start. I have no idea what thickness of cardboard you are thining of, though.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

You might consider a roll of Flashing used on roofs that you can buy at Home Depot. Might be thinner than you want, but it's available and cheap.

-- K. A. Cannon kacannon at insurgent dot org (change the orgy to org to reply)

- Sponsored by The Carlyle Group

Russell B Waters tells it like it is in : "True. I have no facts."

K. A. Cannon

Most steel sheet readily available is galvanized. You might find aluminum sheet easier to cut, bend, shape, polish, and care for (no rust). You might look at .040 or heavier.

It would also be available in the roofing section at the box stores as rolled flashing, though probably lighter thickness.

DanG