Welding Sheet metal with an arc welder.

Hi all, I have been reading this NG for a while and hoping that maybe you could steer me in the right direction. I am in the process of restoring a 63' Willy's Wagon. There is a little rust around the rear whell wheels I would like to cut out, then weld new pieces of metal in its place. Right now the only welding capability I have is a Craftsman AC/DC 230 Amp stick welder. My question is, what can I do to get clean weld with a stick welder on fairly thick gauge sheet metal? Is there a specific rod that stands out as superior for this application? Finally, I saw a stitch welder and spot welder attachements for an arc welder for sale by JCWhitney. These apparently clamp into my existing cables and then allow a little more control over the current? Does anyone have any experience with this type of setup or are these attachements not worth the paper they are printed on? Most of my welding eperience is with 1/4" and thicker mild steel, using 6011 rod. I would really like to make this project look nice, and I don't think I could do that with the 6011.

Reply to
bemount

6013 comes in very small sizes for this application.
Reply to
Ecnerwal