Comments on "Modern" SBL 14" Please?

Hello all:

While my '42 10L has served me well, it is quite worn (ways and such), and I have been contemplating something a touch bigger.

A dealer close-by has a pair of 14" SBL of the more "modern" variety. They came out of a local community college and appear to be in pretty decent shape. The ways are hardened and are beautiful.

I'm guessing these are about 20-25 years old. They have the variable speed control with the analog meter readout, Twin-lever QC, D1-3 spindle mounts...

How do these compare, quality-wise, to the older SBLs that we love? Did SB go through a 70s-80s "quality-dip" like some other US industries? Anything in particular I should check (i.e. peculiar to these models)?

The guy said $1400-1500, which seems reasonable. They have a 6" 3- jaw, follower and steady rests, collet closer (manual).

Thanks, Wally

Reply to
Wally Blackburn

Wally, I cannot be certain without a photo, but SBL, like many other American machinery firms, ran into serious competition from imports then and this competition has ultimately caused their demise. Just prior to their failure, most of these firms started selling imports under their own name. In the case of SBL, their imports came from 3 locations, Korea, Australia and Taiwan. In all cases, the imported machines were of acceptable quality. School machines are typically pristine and a very safe bet. I purchased an SBL 13 x 40 a few years ago as scrap as it had been dropped from a forklift on to its face. This machine is from that same era. It was a Taiwan machine. I spent around $1500 in parts and a couple of hundred hours on this machine and I can attest to its quality. You may note that all these machines are metric not inch, although they all had inch leadscrews and tread indicators. Interestingly, all accessories installed by the SBL factory were installed using inch fasteners. I think your price is reasonable, depending on condition. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

When I worked at another school from where I am now we had several of these lathes. I found them to be completely satisfactory for our needs and they withstood student abuse quite well.

By student abuse, for the most part, I mean being used by inexperienced hands.

Be careful that the spindle is completely stopped before changing the gearbox from low to high range (and back) as the gears are prone to burring. It is a major aggravation to pull that gear box and file the edges of the gear teeth smooth so that they engage as they should.

Also treat the spindle speed speed switch gently. They are expensive to replace.

The price you mention does not seem out of line. I would probably pay that if the opprotunity arose for the home shop.

Errol Groff Instructor, Machine Tool Department H.H. Ellis Tech

613 Upper Maple Street Danielson, CT 06239

860 774 8511 x1811

Errol Groff