Info on this Diesel please

I am no diesel fan, but saw this loco (from a HK seller I believe) and considered it a magnificent example...... anyone know much about these?

I thought it an absolute killer bargain!

mindesign

"mindesign" wrote

It's an Athearn (USA manufacture, or maybe Chinese these days) SD45T(maybe SD45T-2) Tunnel Motor. The price was about right for a used example. They are reasonable models, shaded somewhat these days by other quality makes, but Athearn have been around for a long time, and were probably the first to introduce large motors with twin flywheels many many years ago - certainly as far back as the mid-1970s.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

As this is a new model and from Athearn's upgraded lines, I think you got a bargain. The original model from Athearn did not have the see through air grills by the back walkway over the rear trucks. This feature is one of the key identity points for both the 40 and 45 tunnel motors

The prototype tunnel motor was originally designed for the Southern Pacific (SP) and the Denver Rio Grande and Western (DRGW) had a few also. The design took into consideration the long tunnels and snow sheds on the Donner Route where hot air collected near the top of tunnels/sheds and the engines on numerous locomotives would fail (a type of vapor lock). The intake was deliberately placed at walk way level to take advantage of the cooler air present at lower levels. The 45 model had a V-16 engine that eventually proved to be too maintenance intensive for the owners and these units where retired early. The SD 40T-2 was far more popular and numerous.

That being said, your model is particularly handsome in its UP paint scheme. The dash 2 (-2) stood for an electronics/control revision package that all EMDs eventually underwent or could be ordered from the factory. Hence GP38-2, etc, etc, etc. The DRGW was eventually absorbed by the SP and the SP was absorbed by the Union Pacific. The running number Athearn used is suspect. Many tunnel motors (40's) have been sold to other lines (short lines and mining lines) and now wander about not even coming close to the tunnels it was designed for.

Reply to
+GF+

I see it's an Athern Genesis, which are apparently quite good models from what I've heard - I have none myself, but I have quite a few standard Athern diesels which are very good for the price paid (between £10 and £15 on ebay). I've got some Proto 2000 diesels which are much better and have detailing similar to your example, these I've picked up on Ebay for between £15 and £25 - some of them "as new". I've also got a few Atlases which are the best running of my lot and also have nice detailing - bought for between £20 and £30, most of them "as new". For some reason American diesels go pretty cheap on UK Ebay, maybe they are not very popular.

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor

Thanks for the warning. I was planning to import and sell some as a sideline. Shan't bother now.

(kim)

Reply to
kim