When would you use round carbide inserts like this?

I'm wondering when you would use round carbide inserts like this?

BTW, I am a HSM and not in production.

Thanks in advance,

Rod San Francisco

Reply to
rodjava

I'm wondering when you would use round carbide inserts like this?

BTW, I am a HSM and not in production.

Thanks in advance,

Rod San Francisco

Reply to
rodjava

I use one for shallow finish cuts. leaves a nice surface, and can be rotated more than the usual 3 or 6 times to get a new edge.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

Rough turning. Better have a very rigid machine.

if your usenet reader can handle message id's.

Wes

Wes

BTW, I am a HSM and not in production.

Thanks in advance,

Rod San Francisco

Transition from a diameter to a face leaving a radius in the root thus avoiding stress risers.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Simpler to deal with the auction number alone instead of trying to cut and paste a three-line folded URL. :-)

*If* you have a *big* and *rigid* enough machine (note that the holder's shank is 1" square, and my 12x24" Clausing has a maximum of 5/8" square with the proper sized Aloris style quick-change toolpost and holders), it can produce a finer finish with a coarser feed.

Or -- it can produce a nicely rounded fillet when turning up to a shoulder to minimize stress risers which would appear from a square shoulder.

At least that is how *I* would use them.

Looks like the inserts are 1/2" diameter, thus 1/4" radius -- that calls for a *lot* of horsepower and rigidity.

And the angle and the thickness says negative rake, which uses even more power, and allows you to keep turning the insert to bring another sharp edge into position, and once you have gone all the way around, you can flip it over for another circle of cutting edge.

I wish I had a machine to handle these. The auction closed without a bid, and the price looks reasonable for someone who has a big enough machine.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

They're industrial cutters for high-volume work where tooling cost is an issue. They're cheap because they can be re-indexed. As some have said, they're used mostly for hogging.

But the shape lends itself to finish work, to, so you'll see some production applications where they're used for both, in multi-pass operations with a single cutter.

It's less common today than it was ten or twenty years ago to see applications where the extra tool "edges" pay off over having dedicated shapes for roughing and finishing. When I was reporting on wiper-type inserts a few years back I often saw the wipers being used to replace round inserts.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

To? The editor made a mistake! Oh, how the mighty has typoed! :) (We just won't mention my typing, OK?)

Reply to
John Husvar

Really? I find it much easier to just hit U (that's upper case U), and hit ENTER over the appropriate URL. Launches it with whatever browser you want ... In .slrnrc I have, set Xbrowser "links2 -g '%s' &" You really need to visit '?' more often, DoN. ;-)

Then I'd have to open a browser manually, go to eBay, and copy'n'paste the auction number in some search box. Much more time consuming, and troublesome.

Reply to
Steve Ackman

I don't like mail programs and newsreaders knowing how to fire up browsers on my systems. This is one of the ways that Windows systems get infected with Malware. :-)

A shell script (called "ebay" which builds a generic URL and appends the item number from the command line. So it is a very simple cut-and-paste for me.

If I don't give an auction number on the command line, it comes up on a search page instead. Overall, it does what I want.

And these days, the Sun Blade 2000 with dual 1.2 GHz CPUs starts opera quickly enough so there is no serious wait.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols