kit building ....

Simon,
Looks like the K's kit of the Webb coal tank and it looks OK. It's an old model and they do give some warnings of its possible performance but the chassis looks well made with the correct drivers on it. Depends how keen you are to have a model of an LNWR prototype. :-)
Jim.
Reply to
Jim Guthrie
That was part of it but it was more the somewhat large gaps at joins - especially on that review.
Cheers, Simon
Reply to
simon
You have to regard ebay descriptions as sometimes being equivalent to estate agents blurbs in the days before we all got wise to them. Frankly that model is horrible. Poorly built ( a lot of parts not square etc) and appallingly painted. At least on ebay you do get a photo to help you make up your mind.
Prices are often wildly off the mark and this is one of those cases. Having said that, there are real bargains to be had if you avoid bidding on items whose termination is a Sunday night. I watch with horror as items I know are still available (particularly kits) go for more than the RRP.
Alistair
Reply to
Alistair Wright
"simon" wrote
It looks bloody awful to me, but it does depend on your understanding of the term 'good'.
Traditionally (and this generally refers to collectable ready-to-run models) I use the following expressions:
As new or mint - literally unused & in perfect condition
Excellent - pretty close to perfect, minimal use
Very good - still worthy of ownership but with very minor imperfections, and having had moderate use
Good - a better expression would be 'average' - something careworn and well used
Fair - model showing extensive use & handling, but in working order
Poor - fit for little more than spare parts
John.
Reply to
John Turner
thats what I would understand and in this case am disappointed as its Rails. Know ebay descriptions are not to be taken seriously and the photos count more but its only so if prospective purchaser accepts that. Perhaps we should be quicker to point out that descriptions are off - constructively of course,. admit its quite possible that Rails are just using a standard form and were a bit tired so let this slip through.
I'd pay £20 for it knowing would have to at least break the body and re-assemble, remotor and re-gear (looks like an X04). If lucky chassis/wheels may be ok although thats unlikely. Saw a nice coal tank at a show the other week, was tempted - good price at £90 but it wasnt the right time to splash out. May have been same kit.
Cheers, Simon
Reply to
simon
I have an un-opened K's Coal Tank kit for sale. It was bought when I was still working on my now defunct WCML layout about twenty years ago. Make me an offer for it by p.m.. I ought to ebay it, but I can't be bothered.
Alistair snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com
Reply to
Alistair Wright
Having now built a K's coal tank kit from the packet, can say ebay one was badly built. True it took a bit of extra work to get body parts to fit square - esp the cab roof, and tank fronts. But although the front cab overhang isnt perfect its certainly good enough. There were handrails on tanks and cab sides not catered for which was arkward. Chassis is running nicely, replaced included motor, pickups, gears and wheels. The wheels were fine until had removed/refitted 4 times - by then the 'D' shape for aligning axles was lost. OK, should add brakes - and will one day. Finished article looks nice, pleased had not read thread elsewhere that described K's kits as pretty bad. Perhaps it was just this kit is one of their better ones. Can definately reccomend it.
Cheers, Simon
Reply to
simon
Well done that man !
A friend of mine from work used to build kits and he said you did get good and bad ones but with a little effort most could be sorted.
Chris
Reply to
Dragon Heart

Site Timeline