2009 British Model Railway Poll - Demographics - Discuss!

I've extracted the following from the latest issue (#7) of Hornby's "The Collector Plus" magazine which fell through our letter box this morning. I'm not suggested that these figures are a scientific representation of the railway modelling fraternity, but they do (in many respects) reinforce my own experience of interests.

2009 British Model Railway Poll - Demographics

Age of Voters:

The largest group of voters prepared to state their age were in their 50s, followed closely by those in their 60s - these made up more than half of those taking part, and was closely followed by those in the 40s. 75% of voters were aged between 40 & 69.

Eras Modelled:

BR steam (or the 'transition' period from 1958-68) is the most popular to model - around 30% of those voting favoured this period.

22% modelled the Big Four era (1923-47) 19% the early days of BR (1948-58). The BR diesel era from 1969-privatisation attracts just 13%. Only 4.6% model the 'current' scene. (My comment - add all of the three sample BR periods together and this suggests that around 62% model the nationalised railway era).

Regional interest (from those modelling 1923-68) was as follows:

LNER or BR (ER/NER) - 34.8% SR or BR(SR) - 23.5% GWR or BR(WR) - 22% LMS or BR(LMR) - 15.1% BR(ScR) - 4.6%

Preferred scales of those modelling BRITISH prototypes:

OO-scale - 82% N - 10% O - 3.4% P4 - 1.6% EM - 1.4% TT - 0.7% HO - 0.3%

Reply to
John Turner

It is nice to know that I am normal in some respects then!

Peter A

Reply to
Sailor

"Sailor" wrote

Lucky you!

My main interests, in order of priority, although my 4mm scale interest is waning:

BR almost throughout its existence (mid-50s to Privatisation) in OO-scale - both steam & diesel. Slant towards BR(ScR) with some significant LMR & NER influence.

BR steam/transition (mid-50s to mid-60s) in O-scale - steam & diesel.

Small USA On3 layout - good fun with digital sound.

I also have a modest collection of post-1990 Marklin HO, most of which has never seen the light of day, but it came my way at the right time at the right price.

Oh, I'm 61, so fit in with the 40-69 majority group - if nothing else! LOL

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Is it just me, or is this 17.6% overly catered for with new RTR releases?

I think I know why manufactureres do it, the variety and frequent change of liveries allows them to refresh their catalogues with little extra tooling costs.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I thought you were a lot younger than that. Must be all that salt air!

Reply to
Keith Patrick

"Man at B&Q" responded to

with:-

I wonder whether this 17.6% isn't also the most susceptible group to economic recession? They tend to be younger, have young families and big(ish) mortgages.

It's also interesting that Bachmann haven't gone down this route to the same extent as Hornby and ViTrains.

I also suspect that it costs an awful lot less to tool up for a new diesel or electric model than a steam loco.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

And a lot less to manufacture as well, as they don't have so many fiddly pipes and bits to attach. When I look at the latest models I feel sorry for the Chinese people who have to spend all day sticking all the little bits on!

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

Does it say who they polled? I guess people modelling the Listowel & Ballybunion in S scale wouldn't be reading a Hornby collector magazine(?), while a survey on an e-mail list might find everyone models

4mm scale post-privatisation?
Reply to
Arthur Figgis

Similar question, were those polled only modellers or modellers and collectors. Plus how many purchased products from multiple eras or regions - even if less volume in their secondary preference.

My preference is LMS around 1930's but have purchased much of RTR LMS in early BR as well.

CHeers, Simon

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

But are you applying your own situation in considering theirs. They may have a chioce between back breaking work in the paddy fields for a pittance vs assembly in reasonably pleasant conditions where they can chatter away whilst assembling components - ladies can do that you know. They can multitask quite easily - never finish any of the tasks mind.

cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

"simon" wrote

The poll was widely announced on the net - not sure whether it was publicised on here or not.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Keith Patrick" wrote

LOL - my lady friend says the same! ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Seems we HO modellers are a significant group! Pre-grouping doesn't show very highly though. ;-)

Reply to
Greg.Procter

=A0

With modern trends, I feel sorry for the modeller who receives a large bag of little bits with their new purchase, half of which become "ping- fuckits" whilst trying to fit them :-)

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Adding up the eras given leaves 11% unaccounted for. I expect many are narrow-gauge rather than pre-grouping, however.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Illingworth

You need to hire yourself a Chinese lady. And someone to fit the little bits... :)

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

The 11% are those who model the railways of the future. Now there's an era that manufacturer's have neglected over the years. :)

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

Odd: GWR and LMS seem to be significantly better represented in RTR, yet this is saying that NE is the most popular post-grouping region.

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

.. and SR (well, South Western division of..) is probably the only area you could put together a reasonably representitive collection of stock for most of that period (T9 + N + M7 get closer than any other combination around for any region to being representitive: NE - well, it's hopeless without at least an R and a C1, neither of which appears to be anywhere on any horizon..)

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

With modern trends, I feel sorry for the modeller who receives a large bag of little bits with their new purchase, half of which become "ping- fuckits" whilst trying to fit them :-)

MBQ

That ones easily solved. Buy 2 lots of everything then as youre about to start scatter one set around the floor. Sometimes that appeases the god of the carpet so nothing goes ping and on other occasions you can find the scattered bit when looking for the pinged one (think she gets distracted whilst hiding the new bit). Have been looking for a tiny brass step for 3 days now. Have found 4 Romford wheel nuts, 17 washers, an assortment of small screws and a book by Iain rice that couldnt find the other day. Should find the brass bit tomorrow as made replacement bit out of scrap fret.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon