2009 British Model Railway Poll - Demographics - Discuss!

Tim Illingworth wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)
What's the point of the streamlining, to cut down wind resistance?
Traction would be a bit of problem too with only 1/6th Earth's gravity.
(kim)
Greg.Procter wrote:

Was that 0.3% entirely resident in the UK or did it also include foreign Johnnies?
(kim)

Am I foreign? Most of my family escaped from around Bradford, but there are still a few left there.
Greg.P. NZ

But lets not have any comments that Bradford probably has more foreign johnnies than NZ
Anon

3.6 million?
On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 12:54:07 +0100, "John Turner"

Odd: GWR and LMS seem to be significantly better represented in RTR, yet this is saying that NE is the most popular post-grouping region.
Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/wiki/Railway

.. and SR (well, South Western division of..) is probably the only area you could put together a reasonably representitive collection of stock for most of that period (T9 + N + M7 get closer than any other combination around for any region to being representitive: NE - well, it's hopeless without at least an R and a C1, neither of which appears to be anywhere on any horizon..)
--
Andy Breen ~ Not speaking on behalf of the University of Wales, Aberystwyth
Feng Shui: an ancient oriental art for extracting

Been saying that for years. I suspect the Southern is only so well represented because of the sheer number of RTR models released over the past few years.
John.
John Turner wrote:

So you don't think the NE is wildly over represented by Flying Scotsmen, A4s and Deltics then?
(kim)
"kim" wrote

Hardly a reasonable cross-section of NER prototypes, all those mentioned are express passenger engines. Not much use if you want to model a typical North eastern railway.
John.
John Turner wrote:

My point John is that the over-representation of these types is probably responsible for the high percentage of North East enthusiasts in the poll.
(kim)
"kim" wrote

I think if you check it out Kim, you'll find that the NE has the lowest representation in RTR models.
John.
John Turner wrote:

I'm not disagreeing John but the fact remains there have been a disproportionate number of reissues of the East Coast express types and I think this has a strong influence over which region an enthusiast chooses to model or collect.
(kim)

Here's why I model NE:
* I was born in Welwyn Garden City and my first school was right by Digswell Viaduct; one of my earliest memories (aged less than 5) was seeing the Scotsman steaming over Digswell.
* My wife worked for Tony Marchington and our son Michael was born the day Tony floated Oxford Molecular, which made him a big chunk of the money with which he bought the Scotsman.
* I volunteered at the Mosquito Aircraft Museum at Hatfield, which is in the grounds of Salisbury Hall. The Mosquito and the Mallard were both designed at Salisbury Hall.
Of course the scope for viaducts and the like is good, but these are the real, personal reasons I model NE. All are connected with the great steam passenger expresses, but you can't build a layout around just that. It makes no sense to start people modelling this region by selling them some really rather nice express passenger locos and not back it up with branch line and local freight. You can get a decent 8F, an elderly N2 which is not a great model but at least runs well, a disastrous J72, a few other odds and ends. The Hornby J94 is OK in this region I think, and a reasonable model. But there were so many interesting and good-looking locos!
<http://www.lner.info/locos/locos.shtml
I guess that's half the problem, what with NE not really pursuing standardisation as hard as the Western, for example, but still it would be nice to be able to get an RTR B series or a C12.
Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/wiki/Railway

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 23:07:23 +0100, Graham Thurlwell

Alexander's G5 looks nice, has anyone built one? What would be the likely cost with motor, wheels and gearbox?
I take it the H1 is one of DJH's older designs? The valvegear looks clumsy in the photos.
Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/wiki/Railway

Coming back to period rather than region, was wondering if its to do with the number of RTR locos available. For instance if you go for BR then theres most of the grouping locos, plus the standards. This reduces as the period goes back to start of grouping. in fact if you want mid to late 20's then theres only one or 2 models in correct LMS livery and configuration.
If you were a bit of a cynic then it may be suggestetd that this is in the interest of the manufacturers - model pre BR then standards of no interest, model BR then much greater range of models available to sell.
cheers, Simon

I'm sure that is a part of it; they can make a wider range of models with paint than with mould, of course, hence the 57 varieties of Class 66 on sale.
But I bet they could sell a Blue Pullman in sufficient numbers to justify it, and I also bet that with a bit of ingenuity they could produce several of the Atlantics off a single chassis and many common parts.
Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/wiki/Railway

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote

I don't understand this 'Blue Pullman' thing. In 22+ years of running a model shop I've maybe been asked for 'Blue Pullman' items on a maximum of two or three occasions, and then only to query whether I'd any 'centre cars' to strengthen ageing Tri-ang models.
Even when I've eBayed very nice examples of Tri-ang 'Blue Pullman' sets, I've been very disappointed with the level of interest.
I'm not saying that sales of a 'Blue Pullman' model would bomb, but in my opinion what demand there is would be very quickly satisfied. It would also be interesting to know at what sort of price pitch a prospective manufacturer would go for.
My guess if that if Hornby produced full 6 or 8 car sets, we'd be looking at a potential RRP of 400+ (6-car) or 500+ (8-car) if their current pricing policy is anything to go by. How many would be willing to pay anything approaching those prices?
John.

I would wager that there are not too many who model today who have ever seen one let alone travelled on one (I have). They were before their time and subject to problems like people forgetting about anti freeze and using wrong oils for winter time. I have tried to get my hands on one of the old ones but they always sell for a high price (too high when anticipating repair costs). I agree that 400 GBPs is out of the question but such models should be sold (as they were in 1949) with a view to acquiring bits as and when finances allow.