Are you a BR transitional era Modeller?

Do you model the BR era, in particular the first twenty years of British Railways existence, known as the transitional (from steam to diesel) era? If so you may be please to know that the old 'demodellers' Yahoo! group has been reactivated to deal specifically with that period.

It's hoped that the group will provide a discussion forum for all aspects of those exciting days when steam first reigned supreme only to be gradually displaced by the new fangled diesels, electrics and even the odd gas turbine, finally to disappear completely from main line use in August of

1968.

If that's your period of modelling interest, or indeed you have a non-modelling interest then feel free to join us at

John.

Reply to
John Turner

In message , John Turner writes

Who is the list owner?

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

I think ir is Mr. Turner :-) Not the previous owner.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

"Jane Sullivan" wrote

Moi.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Is there still a list of banned opinions?

Regards,

S.

Reply to
Stuart Smith

"Stuart Smith" wrote

Now't to do wi' me mate - refer to the previous management.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Seeing as John is the list owner, I think I can safely say not. He'll probably even let me claim southern region models ARE popular!

Reply to
John Ruddy

Steady on, John! Divergent opinions are one thing, heresy is another!

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W

"John Ruddy" wrote

< chokes > < splutters > and retires to bed in absolute disbelief! ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Southern Region EMUs are popular with me. Unfortunately, none of the RTR manufacturers that John sells makes one.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Hi Can anybody tell me about the Queen Mary brake vans? Where they in general use? Where they used on special routes or circumstances ect. How many where built? I have visited the Southern E Group who have some pictures & some info. Having just aquired one my interest is some what stirred. Any info would be welcome. Many thanks in anticipation Roger. snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
Barbara Mitchell

IIRC, they were meant for two main traffic flows- the fast fitted freights carrying imported produce from Southampton, and the traffic from Continental Europe via the train ferry at Dover. Two batches were built- the initial one used the underframes from ex-LBSCR motor coaches, rendered obsolete by the conversion to third-rail electrification, and the second being new build. There are still a few used around the network today, mainly in Departmental use, though some have been used to allow BTP to ride 'shotgun' on certain car-carrying trains that have been prone to theft. Brian

Reply to
BH Williams

Still can't believe this fact! :-(((

I think I will have to buy a DC Kits thing at some stage and try and make something of it!

Mike K One of the few BR(S) fans in LEBW!

Reply to
Mike Kerslake

I think Hornby's questionable choice of the 466, and the resulting sales, put RTR manufacturers off. Limited era, sphere of operation, and liveries! I can understand why they opted for a 2-car set (cost), but surely something like a BIL or EPB would have been better - transition-era Eastern Region modellers could even use an EPB, with minor cab alterations. :)

Reply to
Rich Mackin

"Jane Sullivan" wrote

Not quite true Jane - there's the Networker (when it's available) and the Eurostar.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

In message , John Turner writes

\it's not in the 2006 catalogue.

Which, although an EMU, and it runs on ex-SR tracks, isn't a Southern Region EMU. Additionally, you can't get a full 2+18 set without doing lots of conversion work and spending lots of cash.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan