Half Slip v Double Slip

I tried to plan my layout without slips but couldn't get away without using a double in one place. Although it is early days I am not having any problems except getting in a muddle with which way the points are set. They are yet to be made electrically operated. I am now reconsidering the approach to a station and realise that a slip arrangement would improve space and flexibility and with the experience of the one double slip I am willing to give it a go. The new arrangement could either have 2 double slips or one double slip and 2 half slips. Just wonder if the option with 2 half slips is going to give me less potential problems than 2 doubles. On a slightly different note, did anybody see Hitchcock's Strangers on Train on Saturday. A very good view of 2 double slips in the first minute on the film.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Depends on how you are laying them out, these appear to be two completely different layout options, without any idea of the proposed plans I can't comment further. Incidentally slips come in singles and doubles, ie diamond crossings with either one slip road or two. Half slip is not a recognised term in railway track, sometimes trap points are set out as half a slip but I don't think that's what you meant. Keith

Reply to
Keith

In that case I mean single slip and double slip. I am inclined to think that a single is inherently more reliable than a double therefore two singles should be more reliable than one double, if that makes sense.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

A half slip is something that we ladies wear.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Yes, I believe dear old Alfred was particularly proud of that shot. He often told me that without a couple of decent double slips in the opening scenes, there wouldn't have been any point in making the film. No point at all.

Cheers, Steve (yes folks, he's here all week...)

Reply to
Steve W

In message , Keith writes

There is another type of slip: the so-called "Barry slip".

I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader to find out what that is. Mind you, there is an excellent photograph of a ladder of them in Newport Docks in picture 2 of Mitchell, Smith and Edge, "Monmouthshire Eastern Valleys" (Middleton Press, 2006, ISBN 1 904474 71 3).

Reply to
Jane Sullivan