O Gauge Double slip

I've fitted a peco double slip to my layout, but am having difficulty in wiring it up. I didn't buy the switches PL13 of PL15 as shown on the instructions, hoping to be able to wire it up with out. Can anyone help or would it just be easier to get the switches?

TIA

Dave

Reply to
Dave Garrett

In article , Dave Garrett writes

Dave,

It's two points back to back. The important bit is that the blades at one end drive the frog at the other end and vice versa.

My experience is that a Peco point motor can just about throw an O gauge point but the extra mechanical resistance of a sliding switch makes it a bit iffy.

I started off with Lemaco / Fulgurex motors but got pissed off with the contacts failing on the micro switches so I'm converting to sliding switches (I think DPDT). Another method is to use a relay.

Options are:

  1. Use a decent point motor - tortoise if the layout is fixed or the side frames are deep enough

  1. Use a mechanical switch

  2. Use a simple motor for the blades and a relay for the frog

ps: I've cut off the naff wire and used proper multistrand wire.

Reply to
John Bishop

Does Peco do an O gauge double slip? The HO one is all live.

Reply to
Greg Procter

"Greg Procter" wrote

I think they do, it retails around GBP75.00

John.

Reply to
John Turner

=A33,825 for Waterloo Station 'throat' then.....

Cheers Robt P.

Reply to
Robt P

Peco's website shows it under Product News. It's an Electrofrog turnout, so it needs both a point motor and a method of switching the frogs' polarities to prevent short circuits. Personally I prefer contacts on the point motor for the latter, but mechanically interlocked point-motor control and polarity switch on the control panel will work as well. Some turnouts allow the point+closure rail assembly to act as a polarity switch. I don't know if that's feasible with Peco turnouts.

HTH

Reply to
Wolf K

Thanks John, Yes, that's how the instructions spell it out but not in simple terms like 2 points back to back. That's helped a lot. I was planning on using a tortoise motor, just needed to get my head round the electrics first.

Cheers

Dave

Reply to
Dave Garrett

SL-E790BH according to my catalog. Electrofrog.

Mark Thornton

Reply to
Mark Thornton